Order of Malta Entitlements

Sandy Turnbull

Sandy Turnbull
Total Posts:  157
Joined  21-03-2007

19 November 2008 01:35

Does anyone know whether a Knight of Magistral Grace (SMOM) is entitled to place the Maltese Cross behind their shield in an achievement?

I’m stuck in a debate and so far have come up with conflicing results in my research. I know that Knights of the British Order of St John can, but it’s the Catholic Military Order of Malta that I’m having trouble with.

Any help would be appreciated.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

19 November 2008 03:17

I’ve gone by this chart in the past as it was suggested by someone here and a knight of SMOM and it does not show one as I see it, unless I’ve been drinking of the kool-aid too much…

http://www.chivalricorders.org/nobility/heraldic.htm

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

19 November 2008 06:26

Sandy Turnbull;64596 wrote:

Does anyone know whether a Knight of Magistral Grace (SMOM) is entitled to place the Maltese Cross behind their shield in an achievement?

I’m stuck in a debate and so far have come up with conflicing results in my research. I know that Knights of the British Order of St John can, but it’s the Catholic Military Order of Malta that I’m having trouble with.

Any help would be appreciated.

This was covered in the Double Tressure a couple of years ago.  I’m halfway around the world from my copy at the moment, but perhaps another HSS member could look it up.  I think it was probably the 2005 issue.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

19 November 2008 10:33

I also cannot find my copy but according to other sources and as far as I recall, the cross behind the shield is reserved (as far as we are discussing personal arms within the SMOM) for the professed members, namely the members (knights and chaplains) in perpetual vows (the cross with the rosary) and to the members in simple vows (the cross without the rosary) as well as for Cardinals (again without the rosary), the later being a systematically granted augmentation rather than a permanent attribute belonging to their rank. The Magistral Grace category is entitled only to the correspondent badges on the ribbons, duly hanged below the shield.

P.S. A little bit of offtopic… Currently helmets are discouraged in the professed knights’ heraldic practice (which I dare to deplore as a modern ill-unifying trend) but may be sported by other lay members; I think that theoretically the use of the Order’s badges as the helmet neck badges could be successful if carefully done.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

19 November 2008 15:48

Sandy Turnbull;64596 wrote:

They are not. A Knight of Magistral Grace in the SMOM should place the badge of the order on a ribbon which is depicted surrounding the shield not just suspended below it.

Sandy Turnbull

Sandy Turnbull
Total Posts:  157
Joined  21-03-2007

19 November 2008 16:42

Thank you all very much. I thought that was the case and your replies have confirmed as much.

Very much appreciated.