Arms I am considering assuming

Deer Sniper

Deer Sniper
Total Posts:  222
Joined  13-06-2008

18 October 2009 18:15

The acorns become so small that I think I am fine with leaving his neck plain, I do kind of like the or chain though, What do you think?

Also is differencing that much of a concern in the crest?

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj301/norinko/Heraldry/M-16inprogressahs.jpg

Jacob

Jacob
Total Posts:  36
Joined  14-10-2009

18 October 2009 21:41

First off, very nice! I’m even newer to heraldry myself, but would like to comment, if its OK.

I’ve seen some variation on the tinctures of the wreath and mantling on your achievment. Azure obviously, but were you intending on or or argent? A couple thoughts: argent mantling would make the stag’s attiring in or stand out more, given that there will just be two main areas in or, on the shield itself and in the crest. However, perhaps mantling or would accentuate the or of the blossoms and acorns more.

Choosing a tincture for the mantling may help clarify the matter of the collar.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

18 October 2009 23:09

Convention would call for a wreath Argent and Azure with the mantling Azure doubled Argent. A quick glance in Fairbairn’s should let you know that you do not need to diffence the crest in any way. I would recommend however, from a wreath of the colors a stag’s head Argent attired Or holding in it’s mouth an acorn Or slipped and leaved Azure.

Deer Sniper

Deer Sniper
Joined  13-06-2008

18 October 2009 23:59

So were thinking then - " From a wreath of the colors, a stags head argent attired or. " ?

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj301/norinko/Heraldry/whitestag-1.jpg

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

26 October 2009 23:19

Your blazon for the crest (most recent message) looks fine to me.  As to adding a collar of acorns and/or dogwood blossoms, its a little busy, but if you intend to make or commission a silver cap badge (crest within circlet inscribed with motto) the doo-dads around the neck would give at least some differentiation from the several other Scots families with deer head crests.  (FWIW, I still like the blue stag trippant, but then its not my arms or crest…)

As to the mantling, given that the crest is a white deer’s head, white (argent) mantling doubled in blue is IMO an acceptable option.  The main drawback of blue doubling, depending on how the mantling is drawn, would be lack of contrast with the blue shield.

Deer Sniper

Deer Sniper
Joined  13-06-2008

15 February 2011 22:13

As you can see from the dates on the thread I have been putting off deciding on a motto for some time. One reason is that I had thought to do the motto in Latin the translation of which is giving me much trouble. If I just decide on a motto in English, could I then display the motto in any language? Or would this be against convention?

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

16 February 2011 03:54

Deer Sniper;81472 wrote:

As you can see from the dates on the thread I have been putting off deciding on a motto for some time. One reason is that I had thought to do the motto in Latin the translation of which is giving me much trouble. If I just decide on a motto in English, could I then display the motto in any language? Or would this be against convention?

Wouldn’t that depend on tradition?  AFAIK, in England, Wales and wherever the English Kings of Arms held sway, mottoes can be changed at will.  In Scotland the motto was an integral component of a LL grant or matriculation and could not simply be changed at will.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

16 February 2011 10:17

I don’t think translating is the same as changing. If you decide what you want in English, you have a motto. If you would like that displayed in some other language, be it Latin or some other, I don’t see that as a game changer.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

16 February 2011 15:12

I agree with Kenneth. Since AFAIK you haven’t received a Scottish grant that would lock in a particular motto, you’re free to do as you wish—"linguistic license" smile

Deer Sniper

Deer Sniper
Joined  13-06-2008

17 February 2011 21:19

Thank you gentlemen. I rather thought that I was correct, but wanted to get others takes on it. And no I haven’t Matriculated with the LL Michael. Thanks guys! smile