Blazon Check

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

03 December 2010 00:20

I’ve been quiet for a while, due in no small part to a rather large part of my free time in the last 6 weeks being given over to rehab physical therapy.  But I haven’t been completely inactive.  I’ve been working with my Pipe and Drum band to come up with arms for our fifth anniversary.

Kenneth came up with the original design.  And the pipe major decided to add a chief and three mullets.  Though I do like the final product I much prefer Kenneth’s original design.

I’d appreciate it if someone could check and, if necessary, correct my blazon based on the following emblazon.  What appears to be fimbriation between the chief and main area of the shield is just me playing with embossing in the image, so it can be disregarded.

http://www.dcroe.com/images/heraldry/wakedistrict01.png

Proposed Blazon: Per pale azure and gules a Wake knot Argent and Or, on a chief embattled sable three mullets argent.

Specifically, I’m not sure if my description of the coloring of the knot is sufficient.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

03 December 2010 12:24

Dale Challener Roe;80479 wrote:

Kenneth came up with the original design.  And the pipe major decided to add a chief and three mullets.  Though I do like the final product I much prefer Kenneth’s original design.

But being an occasional pipe bander myself, I appreciate that they are not democracies. The pipe major has the final say, period.

:p

"By the right,..."

larrysnyder

larrysnyder
Total Posts:  70
Joined  30-09-2009

20 March 2011 20:23

If I were emblazoning, I probably would have reversed the metals of the Wake knot. I would expect the "standing" part of the line to take precedence (and hence the dexter) to the "bitter ends". That being said, I’m not sure how to clarify the situation, except to specify the parts of the knot. This from an old mariner.

Larry

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

20 March 2011 23:10

Kenneth Mansfield;80482 wrote:

But being an occasional pipe bander myself, I appreciate that they are not democracies. The pipe major has the final say, period.

And when he marches you off the edge of the cliff, as he did heraldically speaking in this case?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

21 March 2011 09:55

Joseph McMillan;81761 wrote:

And when he marches you off the edge of the cliff, as he did heraldically speaking in this case?

There is that.

Also, I would probably lobby for sticking with their current logo, which I happen to like even if it has no basis in reality.

http://www.ncfop88.org/wand/mercha17.jpg

I am confused by the Texas state seal on their sporrans, though.

http://www.ncfop88.org/wand/2009ev11a.jpg