Joined  02-08-2007

21 December 2010 13:17

I love it!

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

22 December 2010 00:09

One of the primary reasons that I want to assume arms, is to make my own small mark in history. I am the last one in my family to carry the name, as my father has passed and my only uncle has never had children. It’s a bit off perhaps, but it’s a way to remain in the event that I myself have no decedents and at least my family name will remain in a scholarly way.

Along with that, heraldry has always been an interest of mine and having arms is something I have always considered. Many years ago, I started diving into the science of it all, but with the trials of life it had to be pushed to the wayside. I picked up " A Guide to Heraldry " by Ottfried Neubecker (Barnes and Noble) a couple years back and really took a serious interest in everything. Being a bit of a traditionalist helps bring the desire up a little. I also enjoy history and believe in documentation of events and people, so being involved with heraldry provides a resource for both keeping and making history.

In regards to my lineage, on my fathers side I am English/Irish and my mothers side is Austrian/Czech-Russian. My mother is unsure of where my great grandfather exactly hailed from as he passed away before he was born. Also, my mothers father lineage is unknown as my grandmother would never talk about him (divorced in the mid 40’s). While trying to research deeper, I came across a gentleman who traced his lineage back to a Capt. John Starr from the 1300’s. Contained within the 1100 pages of descendants was my grandmother, fathers side…since this is the closest thing to direct lineage I can find I claim English, as this is also what my father claimed. As for a direct record, it is difficult to track anything down. Having the last name of "Smith" hailing from an area full of them is hard. My fathers side hails from Southeastern Ohio—the Hocking Hills region for those of you familiar with it—in an area dominated with Smiths. From what I recall, my grandfathers Birth Certificate wasn’t issued until he was in his teens and wasn’t completely filled out. I’ve asked my family members if they remember anything about anyone, but they have no idea or any interest in finding out. The few online resources Ive checked have death records and lots of documents with my grandfathers name on them, but no proof that is him. I also asked about arms, and no one recalls any ever being mentioned. Deeper research is needed indeed. If any of you have any thoughts on how to get started without having any solid

information, the advice would be more than welcomed.

Outside of all of that, I love the art of it. I do freelance graphic design (print media mostly) and photography as well as dabble in mosaics, woodworking, and trying my hand at painting…so art is a major aspect of life. On top of that I enjoy structure…so heraldry brings the best of both worlds to the plate.

So thats the mini novel version.

As for the postures, I had considered using both a rising and displayed posture, but have yet to actually do it. Though, I like the the idea of the bird being more dormant and in a "standing guard" position. But, I will have to try it out and see it for myself before I make any final judgement on it.

And…this is this lineage of Captain John Starr that I found, if you are interested. I contacted the gentleman who compiled it and he said that he has found no actual arms for the same Starr lineage. He mentioned there are several "Starrs" out there, but no proof it’s the same lineage.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/t/a/John-E-Starr/BOOK-0001/0002-0231.html#IND79241REF84

(Additionally: So in quick research tonight…I traced my lineage from my fathers mothers side back to 1615 with Captain John Starr. The legacy is that he was a Captain in the Parliamentary Army during the English Civil War. Afterwards he settled in Old Castle, County Meath Ireland. His son then had 9 children, most of which moved to Chester Co. PA in the early 1700’s during the Quaker movement. Then about 3 generations later (1780s) to West Virginia where the "Nutter" name was taken, then the next generation to the Hocking Hills region from the 1820s until, as far as I know, now.

I also found an image that supposedly were the arms for James Starr (1676-1748), thus allowing all of this to stay on topic to a degree.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b146/Snydercrew/stararmsjamesstar.jpg

So, it’s not following my patriline, but nice to know where 1/32nd of my bloodline comes from. It’s really all a big confusion mess, but a fun one none the less smile )

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

22 December 2010 10:03

So you have given it some thought, then? wink

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

23 December 2010 18:02

Ken’s posting is a good reminder of at least two key points—

* give some thought as to who & what the arms will represent—self only?  self & immediate family?  self & extended family?  (& how extended)  This will likely influence choice of charges—to who (whom?) will or should they be meaningful?  And the "build-up" of charges, with those of broadest relevance being the most basic level, & those most personal being relatively minor so they can be omitted or swapped out by more distant cousins.

* and perhaps the most important (in the "do as I say, not as I do" school of thought)—take your time…

At some point it might be useful to compile some suggested guidance or approaches for folks looking into designing & assuming arms, that would collect or synthesize info & commentary over the years on the subject, both here & elsewhere.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

29 December 2010 05:21

Would love to see a sample done with the cardinal as shown by Kenneth in post 46.  Also like Fr. Dohrman’s suggestion for the crest in post 45 (although it could be a bit of "overkill").

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

24 March 2011 01:28

After several months away, I have returned! Life has been rather hectic…back in school, expecting my first child (come November), living with my girlfriend, and long hours of work have kept me occupied.

I took the advice about posting the picture of the shield on my fridge so that I could see it every day; also extending that onto my cell phone background. I’ve decided that I am going to use the cardinals adorsed. Out of all the designs I did, it is the one that makes me happy. Now to fine tune and incorporate some mantling and such.

Also, I picked up a book a couple of weeks back that I found in the clearance bin: Heraldry in America by Eugene Zieber —haven’t had a chance to really sit down and look at it, but it looks interesting.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

24 March 2011 15:19

Congratulations on passing the refrigerator test!—yes, the test isn’t just for the arms; you (or at least your patience and ability to defer immediate gratification) were also tested, and in this case not found wanting.

And it appears that the universe has repaid you, in part, with easy access to a reference work that is both valuable and not always easy to find! —and (saving the best till last) an heir or heiress in the making!