Traditional On Signet Rings

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

07 July 2011 11:15

What is traditionally put on signet rings?  I see quite a few of them that just have the helm, mantling, a shield, and no crest.  Then other times I only see the crest.  Some have mottos, but most seem not to.  Does it again depend on the country you’re from, or is it more up to personal preference?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

07 July 2011 12:09

The search engine is your friend. Third post in this thread:

http://americanheraldry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5259

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

07 July 2011 12:20

When I click on the link, it wants me to sign in again…and for some reason it won’t accept my password.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

07 July 2011 12:58

I don’t know what to tell you about that. I guess you’ll have to walk.

Open Discussions > Notes, Queries and Current Events > Signet rings (not for the first time, I imagine)

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

07 July 2011 15:19

Try it this way (with the "www" in the link):

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/s…ead.php?t=5259

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

07 July 2011 16:56

J. Stolarz;85790 wrote:

When I click on the link, it wants me to sign in again…and for some reason it won’t accept my password.

that’s because someone is not using the proper URL with the www wink

try this link: http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5259

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

07 July 2011 22:45

kimon;85802 wrote:

that’s because someone is not using the proper URL with the www wink

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

29 July 2011 18:12

J. Stolarz;85813 wrote:

Thank you Kimon.  We’re not animals here Kenneth wink

Joshua I’m presently working with a semi-retired UK jeweler to have a signet ring made. As a person who prefers silver to gold the cost of the engraving is more expensive than the ring. For a laser engraving I’m paying £135 (about US$222). I’m having only my crest engraved.

The die stamped silver cushion ring is £89,50 (US$147). If I were to choose engraving by hand, the price would be over £200 for the engraving alone.

I believe getting a die stamped ring is important for deep signet engraving as these rings are less porous. A surface engraving (also known as diamond drag) is much less expensive.

I’m attaching the website. Up to the moment I can truthfully say the jeweler has been a pleasure to work with. I’ll let you know how I get on.

www.handmade-by-me.co.uk/index.html

BTW Joshua ...... your shield. Have you been fighting?

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

29 July 2011 22:10

Well it’s definitely worth considering.  I was looking at Dexter engraving, but their rings are incredibly expensive…which is probably partly due to the fact that they’re known for quality work.

As for my shield…yes I just got home from work, which is always quite the battle wink

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

30 July 2011 05:34

I have been told that there are many hand engravers in Cuba but unfortunately the United States still maintians its out dated restrictions on commerce and travel to the country so this resource of inexpensive but highly skilled labour is not available to US citizens. Perhaps this will change in time.

Aquilo

Aquilo
Total Posts:  278
Joined  02-10-2010

30 July 2011 13:40

J. Stolarz;85787 wrote:

What is traditionally put on signet rings?  I see quite a few of them that just have the helm, mantling, a shield, and no crest.  Then other times I only see the crest.  Some have mottos, but most seem not to.  Does it again depend on the country you’re from, or is it more up to personal preference?

A signet ring is a very personal piece of jewelry that can be shaped to your individual taste and preference.It is still a very widespread custom for people to have only crests engraved on signet rings when they ought not to do so ! The crest is a part of the heraldic achievement and cannot exist without the rest, so having it displayed on a signet ring is not practical , specially if you are planning to use a seal-ring as your heraldic ‘signature ’ .

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

30 July 2011 14:51

Aquilo;86449 wrote:

A signet ring is a very personal piece of jewelry that can be shaped to your individual taste and preference.It is still a very widespread custom for people to have only crests engraved on signet rings when they ought not to do so ! The crest is a part of the heraldic achievement and cannot exist without the rest, so having it displayed on a signet ring is not practical , specially if you are planning to use a seal-ring as your heraldic ‘signature ’ .

This may be true in Poland, but in English-speaking countries the custom of using the crest alone on signet rings is of very long standing.  Two of the oldest heraldic artifacts in the United States are crest rings dating to about 1585 and 1610 found in archeological digs at Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, and Jamestown, Virginia.

Aquilo

Aquilo
Total Posts:  278
Joined  02-10-2010

30 July 2011 17:18

It is definitely ‘no no’ in Poland , since many crests are similar and interchangeably used in different achievements .

As for heraldic traditions in English -speaking countries… I’m not sure ...Charles Mackinnon of Dunakin writing often about heraldic and genealogical customs in England and Scotland used to describe the habit of displaying only crest as ’ cult of the crest’ based on a false interpretation of heraldry offered by the nineteenth century sellers merchandising cheap copies of the crests as a whole achievements.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

30 July 2011 18:29

David Pritchard;86435 wrote:

I have been told that there are many hand engravers in Cuba but unfortunately the United States still maintians its out dated restrictions on commerce and travel to the country so this resource of inexpensive but highly skilled labour is not available to US citizens. Perhaps this will change in time.

I honestly thought that ban was lifted years ago.

I was reading in another thread that an address in Thailand was offering engraving services. Has anyone heard or does anyone know more about this?

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

30 July 2011 20:37

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

31 July 2011 00:41