Somerset Maugham

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

15 July 2011 23:49

This emblem appears on W. Somerset Maugham’s books, and it piqued my curiousity:

http://roborant.info/images/evileye.jpg

One website says the following:

Quote:

An ancient Moorish symbol supposed to ward off the Evil Eye.  Circa 1880, Robert Ormond Maugham (one of the founders of the British Law Society), came across the sign during a trip to Morroco. He had it engraved in glass used in a home he built outside of Paris in Suresnes. In 1901, his son,  William Somerset, placed the symbol on his fourth book, The Hero. The novel was a flop. Later, Maugham realised he’d put the symbol upside down. He turned it the right way around and became one of the most popular authors in the world.

It’s not heraldry, but seems to serve some of the same purpose of a personal badge.  One version of the cover of his literary memoir, The Summing Up, even shows the symbol on a shield (I guess some people can’t resist putting things on shields).

http://barryergangbooksforsale.yolasite.com/resources/The Summing Up duo.jpg.opt836x570o0,0s836x570.jpg

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

16 July 2011 02:58

Benjamin,

Very interesting.  It reminds me somewhat of your badge, but turned upside down.

Anybody,

Did the family of Somerset Maughams bear arms?

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

16 July 2011 04:29

Dear All,

(William) Somerset Maughan’s elder brother, Frederic Herbery Maughan was firstly created a Peer for Life as Baron Maughan, of Hartfield in the County of Sussex on 7th October 1935 and later as Viscount Maughan, of Hartfield in the County of Sussex on the 22nd September 1939.  The Barony of Maughan fell into extinction on his death on the 23rd March 1958 and he was succeeded in the Viscountcy of Maughan by his only son, Robert Cecil Romer Maughan.  The Viscountcy of Maughan fell into extinction on the death of the 2nd Viscount on the 13th March 1981.

Certainly, the Viscounts Maughan had armorial bearings, viz:

Arms: Per pale argent and gules a chevron between three roundels all counterchanged.

Crest: A Patriarchal cross reversed conjoined at the chief with two bars saltire enarched and embattled azure.

Motto: In Finem perseverans.

It would appear that as Barons and Viscounts Maughan they never appeared to have petitioned for supporters as is the right of Peers of the Realm.  Although the arms and crest do not appear in Burke’s General Armory, I would imagine that the arms at the very least may have been borne anciently with or without authority.  According the family’s entry in the 1970 edition of Burke’s Peerage, the Maughans’ pedigree stemmed from a William Maughan, of Old Park and later of Cragg House, Brough in the County of Westmorland who was born circa 1680.  Certainly, their arms and crest are of a very simple and striking design.

With every good wish

John

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 July 2011 09:36

liongam;86095 wrote:

Crest: A Patriarchal cross reversed conjoined at the chief with two bars saltire enarched and embattled azure.

John may have realized, but it bears pointing out, that this is pretty much a heraldic description of WSM’s emblem.  So perhaps it’s not as non-heraldic as it might appear at first glance.

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

16 July 2011 12:09

The device as used by Somerset Maughan on his books is certainly the one as blazoned as the crest as used by the Viscounts Maughan and, presumably the family.  I would say that as a charge either to be used on a shield or here with the Maughans as a crest or part thereof it is fully heraldic as it is capable of being blazoned without any ambiguity.  I forgot to mention this in my original posting.  Mea culpa!

John

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Joined  04-09-2009

16 July 2011 22:37

eploy;86094 wrote:

Very interesting.  It reminds me somewhat of your badge, but turned upside down.

I hadn’t noticed that, but you’re right.

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

18 July 2011 23:49

liongam;86095 wrote:

This crest also reminds me of a cattle brand.  Is there any known significance for the design?

David Fofanoff

David Fofanoff
Total Posts:  213
Joined  03-05-2011

19 July 2011 00:42

eploy;86167 wrote:

This crest also reminds me of a cattle brand. Is there any known significance for the design?

It appears to be a Moorish (Islamic) "victory over Christianity" symbol. The upside down Episcopal Cross showing the violent overthrow or defeat of the Orthodox Christians in the middle east (probably around the times of the Crusades). Crossed saltires embattled (or crossed serrated scimitars) also alude to the battle or war in which the bearer participated.

At least that’s my 2-cents…

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Joined  04-09-2009

20 July 2011 00:12

Here’s a picture on the gate of WSM’s villa on the French Riviera. La Mauresque (or The Moorish Villa):

http://www.tedjoneswriter.co.uk/pictures/1970.jpg

The accompanying article (and a few others I’ve found online) suggest that the symbol is a version of the hand of Fatima (a.k.a. the hand of Miriam, a.k.a hamsa), but I’m not entirely convinced.  Any thoughts?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-z3DSKPK7GT0/TgfLv-qOzlI/AAAAAAAACjI/f2X31J5j6U4/s320/Hand-of-Fatima.jpg

David Fofanoff

David Fofanoff
Total Posts:  213
Joined  03-05-2011

20 July 2011 15:13

Benjamin Thornton;86209 wrote:

Here’s a picture on the gate of WSM’s villa on the French Riviera. La Mauresque (or The Moorish Villa):

http://www.tedjoneswriter.co.uk/pictures/1970.jpg

The accompanying article (and a few others I’ve found online) suggest that the symbol is a version of the hand of Fatima (a.k.a. the hand of Miriam, a.k.a hamsa), but I’m not entirely convinced.  Any thoughts?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-z3DSKPK7GT0/TgfLv-qOzlI/AAAAAAAACjI/f2X31J5j6U4/s320/Hand-of-Fatima.jpg

I don’t see the resemblance at all. To me I see two crossed scimitars that are notched (note the sword-like points on the ends of the bars at the top that are not present on the bottoms - nor present at the top / bottom? of the cross) over an upside down Episcopal Cross. The Hand graphic looks nothing like it.