*NEW* Bishop Persico of Erie

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

23 September 2012 12:31

http://imageshack.us/a/img259/2733/sc0030d063.jpg

I was commissioned to design and execute the coat of arms of the new Bishop of Erie, PA, the Most Rev. Lawrence Persico, who will be ordained a bishop and installed as Bishop of Erie on Monday, October 1. (NOTE: I did not design the arms of the Diocese of Erie.)

An embattled fess appears in the coat of arms of the diocese of Greensburg in which the bishop was born and raised, as well as attended seminary, was ordained and served all of his priestly ministry so far. The green embattled fess suggests the name green-burg (city) and so alludes to the bishop’s native diocese. Above this bar we see a green peach tree. The family name Persico is derived from the same word for peach tree in Italian. So, the tree serves as a symbol of the bishop’s family and ethnic heritage. In addition, it alludes to the tree of life, a symbol for Christ as well as for the Church itself. In base the black gridiron is a symbol of St. Lawrence who suffered martyrdom by being roasted alive by his persecutors. Famously, while never flinching in the face of suffering for the sake of Christ he taunted them by exclaiming, “I’m done on this side now turn me over!” With this symbol the bishop commemorates his baptismal patron saint.

These three symbols also reflect on the bishops under whom Bishop Persico has served in his years of priestly ministry. The coat of arms of Bishop William Connare, who ordained Bishop Persico to the priesthood and sent him for further study in Canon Law, contained an embattled fess. The coat of arms of Bishop Anthony Bosco whom Bishop Persico assisted as MC, and Chancellor contained a tree. The coat of arms of Bishop Lawrence Brandt whom Bishop Persico served as Vicar General and Moderator of the Curia contains a gridiron since he, too, has St. Lawrence as a patron saint. With the three main elements of his own coat of arms Bishop Persico also remembers the three bishops under whom his whole priestly ministry has taken place.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

23 September 2012 16:13

Excellent on both sides of the shield—even if Fr. Guy didn’t design the diocesan arms, they look like he could have.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

23 September 2012 19:21

I agree with Joseph - both side are quite excellent, especially for American Catholic heraldry.

Kudos to the Rev. Fr. Guy!

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

23 September 2012 20:17

Well done Father Guy - thoughtfully created and aesthetically pleasing as ever.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

24 September 2012 04:12

Your designs and not least, rationales, are always a pleasure Fr. Guy.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

24 September 2012 09:46

Very thoughtfully and well designed.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

25 September 2012 01:01

To modify my usual assessment of most clerical arms—in this case, "We’ve seldom seen better!"

Nice job!

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

25 September 2012 12:14

The first thing I noticed was the emblazon and how heraldically pleasant the personal arms are!  Then ... I read that Fr. Guy designed them!  Double-Wow!

Great job, Father.

—Guy

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

03 October 2012 02:18

Very, very fine!

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

03 October 2012 06:21

Well done, Father Guy—perhaps I’ll have the opportunity to see them in use next time I’m home!