Bishop Estevez of St. Augustine, FLA

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

03 June 2011 17:41

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/6043/estevez.jpg

No, we HAVEN’T seen worse! The personal arms are AWFUL and the episcopal cross mimics the giant outdoor cross at the Catholic mission in St. Augustine. That’s nice but specifying a particular style for an external ornament (as we have discussed here in the past) is a poor design decision and cannot be justified.

Brad Smith

Brad Smith
Total Posts:  182
Joined  12-02-2009

03 June 2011 18:11

Lol!  I agree 100%, and even if I didn’t, I would be hard put to gainsay your eloquence.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

03 June 2011 18:32

Well the Personal side of the Arms seems a great deal unheraldic and rather logo-like.

lucduerloo

lucduerloo
Total Posts:  86
Joined  13-09-2009

04 June 2011 04:42

Why don’t appointees get a survival kit to steer them through this process? We’ve had a rather horrendous batch of auxiliary bishops here lately. Shouldn’t you be writing one (I mean survival kit) Guy?

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

04 June 2011 05:46

Not only writing one (survival kit), but the minute someone is ordained (is that the word?)  Guy should be heading them off at the pass with a very friendly letter saysing "Here I Am"...  In fact he should sent one to every diocese by region…Maybe we could get him on the road…  Or maybe we should get on the road taking care of our friendly locals doing heraldry briefs..  Put together the slides Father!  Cliff Notes and off we go!

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

04 June 2011 10:00

A few years ago I approached some people at the US Conference of Catholic Bishops suggesting we put together a committee to act as an advisory group. There already is a Bishops’ Committee on the Life and Ministry of Bishops so I suggested our heraldry group could be an ad hoc subcommittee with an episcopal moderator.

It was shot down.

Instead it was suggested I gather a committee on my own and write to every diocese in the USA (there are 194 dioceses in the USA) informing them of our existence. But, the USCCB was unwilling to endorse the effort or use their own internal communications mechanisms to inform bishops of our existence. I doubt anything will come of it.

I DO frequently contact bishops upon hearing of their appointment. They often have other plans. Most frequently I am not even given the courtesy of a reply.

Many have suggested I should publish something of a guide on this subject. The late Michael McCarthy was after me about it for some time. Perhaps I really should undertake to do just that.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

04 June 2011 10:31

Absolutely.  Even something of fairly simple basics with reference information to people and books and websites should help.

bmerlina352

bmerlina352
Total Posts:  108
Joined  13-07-2012

13 December 2012 21:30

such a guide would be a great idea, and helpfull not only to our bishops but also to other cerics wanting to assume arms.  on an added note I personally would get a few heralds together and go ahead with the committee and create an online presence, even if you only notify each diocese as they have a change of administration.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

14 December 2012 06:53

wow, those are bad -

http://www.dosafl.com/imagegallery/VertNav/273/webBishopECrest.jpg

Father, you should most defiantly publish a guide!  At the close of which, you should include your contact information or the contact information of your suggested ad-hoc subcommittee, saying that you/they are an expert of ecclesiastical heraldry and will gladly assist all comers in the design of their arms.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

14 December 2012 18:08

Oh my…they are pretty bad, aren’t they?  I suspect weactually have seen worse, but not many.

As to publishing a guide, I would modify the part of Steve’s recommendation "saying that you/they are an expert of ecclesiastical heraldry and will gladly assist all comers in the design of their arms" by omitting the claim of "expert"—which, while true, has been used by so many who are definitely NOT experts as to lose credibility—and merely say "experienced" and add a few examples of your well-designed arms which have been actually adopted & used within the church (with the permission of the "client" parish or cleric).  A picture is worth a thousand words, if for no other reason that it will catch the eye of those who would glaze over well short of the fourth decimal place; and hopefully will engage their interest in something simple and clean rather than a hodge-podge of everything including the parish kitchen sink..

A brief note that you don’t charge for your services (as long as that’s the case) and work closely with the parish or cleric would also be useful.

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

07 January 2013 12:28

Father Guy, I think a guide is a very, very good idea. I do hope you go forward.

For an epigraph, you could use part of the gravedigger scene from Hamlet:

First Clown: There is no ancient gentleman but gardeners, ditchers, and grave-makers:  they hold up Adam’s profession.

Second Clown:  "Was he a gentleman?"

First Clown:  "He was the first that ever bore arms."

Second Clown:  "Why, he had none."

First Clown:  "What, art a heathen? How dost thou understand the

Scripture? The Scripture says ‘Adam digged:’  could he dig without arms?"

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

07 January 2013 14:35

Joseph Staub;97210 wrote:

First Clown:  "What, art a heathen? How dost thou understand the

Scripture? The Scripture says ‘Adam digged:’  could he dig without arms?"

I was looking to see if anybody had attempted to attribute arms to Adam, when I happened upon the arms of Norwegian mathematician Niels Henrik Abel (1802-1829).

http://www.numericana.com/arms/abel1.gif

Arms: Argent, the forbidden tree of knowledge with the Serpent between Adam and Eve, Adam receiving an apple from Eve whose sinister hand plucks a second apple, all Proper.

Crest:  Two wings Argent.

:facepalm:

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

07 January 2013 20:16

Complex, but really nice!—at least in this rendition.