Facebook?

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

09 January 2013 16:13

Guy Power;97267 wrote:

Wellllll. ...... I do not have a FaceBook account, so cannot go beyone the initial image.

From what I see, the page looks nice.  But I do not do social-networking except in a very limited fashion to vet possible internns, visitors, etc.

Nope ... not a fan of any of that stuff a’tall.

—Guy

And that’s fine. I just really believe there ought to be a presence for those who do. I think the page would look a lot sharper with the Society’s arms instead of the current profile, though wink

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

18 June 2013 09:59

So I have been managing a Facebook page dedicated to American Heraldry for over six months now. There is a modest fan base, with room for growth.

Is there any interest from the board in perhaps appropriating the page to serve as official Society representation in social media? It already serves as a de facto, unofficial fan page of the society, occasionally highlighting the work of our membership. I would need only change the name of the page by adding the word "Society" and uploading the society’s arms as its profile/logo. I would also happily give administrative privileges to Society officers I am friends with on Facebook.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

18 June 2013 12:22

I thought we already had an official AHS FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/59631965820/

Isn’t the question how to use it other than as another forum?  Using it as essentially a heraldic news feed, as you’ve done, seems like a useful approach.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

18 June 2013 12:32

Joseph McMillan;99412 wrote:

I thought we already had an official AHS FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/59631965820/

Isn’t the question how to use it other than as another forum?  Using it as essentially a heraldic news feed, as you’ve done, seems like a useful approach.

Thank you, yes, my original proposal can be found here: http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/showpost.php?p=94314&postcount=50

We don’t have a Facebook "Page," we have a Facebook "Group," which is a different product. The difference between the two is described by Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/blog/blog.php?post=324706977130

The official group, as you say, is a bit redundant in that we already have a fabulous message board here. A page is sort of like a billboard, broadcasting news and points of interest, bringing attention to the Society.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

18 June 2013 14:43

"Pages" weren’t in existence yet when the group was created. Since the group is private and only for society members, I think it is redundant with this forum. I’d rather we got rid of it and went the "page" approach as a way to reach out to a new audience. There would need to be some oversight to make sure that no posts are made that overreach or that misrepresent the society, but it isn’t like there is a lot of controversial stuff ... other than bleu celeste, of course.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

18 June 2013 14:56

My hope is to get a green light. The idea seems to be popular, with dissent being limited to the few people who don’t really participate in social media anyways. The pros and cons have been thoroughly discussed in this thread and elsewhere on the message board.

Actually - really - I would be satisfied to have some decision at all from the board, in favor or against the idea. It was discussed very briefly at the 2012 Annual Members Meeting (minutes here) but the board did not take action. Even if the board ultimately decided they didn’t want to pursue this (or rather, just enable volunteers such as myself to pursue this, a less burdensome path) then I could at least put it to rest.

Is it possible to get a Yes or No?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

18 June 2013 15:28

Jeremy Keith Hammond;99419 wrote:

Is it possible to get a Yes or No?

Stand by…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

19 June 2013 08:29

Yes, it is possible, and (the board having voted) yes, the answer is yes.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

19 June 2013 08:35

Excellent - this evening I will make the transition!

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

20 June 2013 14:15

Where’s the "like" button?  lol

-Phil