A friends COA

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

02 October 2006 13:28

The Finland arms use "among" not "semy."  Gules, among nine roses argent, a lion rampant crowned Or, having for its dexter forepaw a human arm armoured, brandishing a sword trampling a falchion fesswise reversed, both of the second hilted of the third.

I like the among drawing with more roses, but the orle of roses looks better to me (though I guess I am biased).

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Total Posts:  1914
Joined  22-02-2016

02 October 2006 13:33

Michael Swanson wrote:

The Finland arms use "among" not "semy." Gules, among nine roses argent, a lion rampant crowned Or, having for its dexter forepaw a human arm armoured, brandishing a sword trampling a falchion fesswise reversed, both of the second hilted of the third.

I like the among drawing with more roses, but the orle of roses looks better to me (though I guess I am biased).

For educational purposes would you say that semy would have a uniform placement of objects while among would have them placed where they fit (as long as it looks decent)?

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

02 October 2006 13:56

T.R. Griffith wrote:

For educational purposes would you say that semy would have a uniform placement of objects while among would have them placed where they fit (as long as it looks decent)?

I would say that that would be as much splitting hairs as distinguishing between "semee" (in which some of the roses would be cut off by the edge of the shield) and "sans nombre" (in which they don’t).  I know of very few heraldists that consider this a useful distinction.

Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn
Total Posts:  229
Joined  15-06-2005

02 October 2006 14:22

T.R. Griffith wrote:

Wouldn’t this be gerattie?  Friar defines this in his Dictionary of Heraldry as "the distribution of small charges on a field or on a large charge in such a way that the attributes of the principal charge are not obscured and the smaller charges not defaced ... the distribution of gerattie charges is determined by the outline and the features of the charge on which they are placed and unless the alternative term sans nombre is used, the number of charges may be specified."

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

02 October 2006 15:35

Another vote for the roses in orle (oh, I forgot—they’re your arms, we don’t get to vote!).

As a suggestion then—try nthe orle, possibly two variations to see which you prefer—the normal orle of 8 roses, and another with, say, 10 or 12 roses?  (With a larger number, each rose would be depicted smaller, thus leaving more uncluttered space for the bee.)

Clever design!

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

02 October 2006 16:09

Ooh, ooh, me like! :D The roses in orle with the big bee look awesome!

Just my 2¢.

Take care,

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

03 October 2006 10:44

Michael F. McCartney wrote:

they’re your arms, we don’t get to vote!).

What a great idea! 8)  Anyone who gets our help designing his arms must use the arms that win a forum poll.  It works somewhat like the College of Arms, where future armigers have input but what they get in the end is up to the College.

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

03 October 2006 13:35

T.R. Griffith wrote:

LOL

I surprised Mark Olivo didn’t make a bee-line straight to that punchline first.  wink

Hey, is someone tyring to steal my job?

ElSteveo

ElSteveo
Total Posts:  60
Joined  31-08-2006

03 October 2006 13:40

Now, now people.  BEE-have everyone. smile Negativity gives me the hives.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

03 October 2006 17:28

Mark…just sen the avatar…very, very cool!

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Joined  23-02-2005

03 October 2006 18:33

ElSteveo wrote:

Now, now people.  BEE-have everyone. grin

Donnchadh wrote:

Mark…just sen the avatar…very, very cool!

Thanks!

I had this strange urge to create my entire arms only with real-life objects.  I was trying to find any naturally occuring photo of an owl resting on an anchor on the interent (as close to my crest as I could get), but to no avail.  So I decided to just whip together a couple of real-life images.

Glad you like it!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

04 October 2006 01:37

While I like both I’d have to vote for the one that Mike Swanson suggested in ref to Sweden (I believe…have to go back and check). The orle is great, but I just like the scattered look of having them fit around the bee itself; gives the impression of movement as it is not so rigid. Don’t get me wrong, as rigid is a good thing in art in general and in heraldic art in particular and normally I’d go with that. However, in this case it is just nice to see the movement of the charge amongst the scattered roses.

ElSteveo

ElSteveo
Total Posts:  60
Joined  31-08-2006

04 October 2006 02:24

My friend Dave likes the orle of roses. And he likes the added beehive for his crest, which is also associated with his canting of arms, it also signifies the church as well

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/2046/bigbeecoatofarmsuv7.jpg

Ok let’s see if I can do the blazon right. Here we go:

Argent, a large bee Or and sable charged with eleven orle roses borduer gules.

On a torse of Or and Gules, a beehive proper Or

Ok, I know I messed up somewhere.

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Joined  23-02-2005

04 October 2006 02:30

I’m not a fan of the beehive crest, kinda makes it look like your friend has joined Devo.  Maybe the bee can make reappearance?  Just a thought…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

04 October 2006 08:12

ElSteveo wrote:

Ok let’s see if I can do the blazon right. Here we go:

Argent, a large bee Or and sable charged with eleven orle roses borduer gules.

No, not a large bee—just a bee.  Heraldic artists should always scale the charges to fill (most of) the available space.

"Argent a bee proper within an orle of roses Gules barbed and seeded proper."

That’s assuming the number 11 doesn’t have any particular significance.  If it does, then "within an orle of 11 roses…etc."

Personally, I preferred the version that was semy of roses—a more original composition and it looked like an aerial view of the bee flying over the field of flowers, but if your friend prefers the orle, so be(e) it.