Need some direction

loaba

loaba
Total Posts:  138
Joined  27-11-2006

22 December 2006 18:51

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/JJDArmsPaintingSmall.jpg

Hmm, I like that it doesn’t ape anyone’s design, and the sable beats the azure hands down.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

22 December 2006 18:59

loaba wrote:

Hmm, I like that it doesn’t ape anyone’s design, and the sable beats the azure hands down.

This one is THE winner—hands down!!!

—Guy

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

22 December 2006 19:00

Take your time…think of it as dating.  You’ve been with the "bend" version long enough to consider "going steady" but don’t pop the big question until you’ve "lived" with it for awhile longer.  Nothing worse (or so I’m told!) than having your heart go all aflutter at your own wedding…over one of the bridesmaids…

In simple erms—stick it on the fridge for another month or so, then see if you’re still ready for "till death do us part" & your grandkids as well.

(I rather hope you keep it, but you’ll be the one who will eventually rejoice or regret…)

AVD1

AVD1
Total Posts:  169
Joined  31-08-2006

22 December 2006 19:26

Jonathan

I think, as most of the members in this forum, that your CoA with the bend and the crosses is thje stronger and beautiful.

Nevertheles I have the impression there’s something that bothers you in that design and since it’s something you will have to live with you have to ask yourself what is bothering you about that design?

Maybe knowing what is bothering you will let the members give you some direction.

I say this in the most respectful way.

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

23 December 2006 13:42

AVD wrote:

Jonathan

I think, as most of the members in this forum, that your CoA with the bend and the crosses is thje stronger and beautiful.

Nevertheles I have the impression there’s something that bothers you in that design and since it’s something you will have to live with you have to ask yourself what is bothering you about that design?

Maybe knowing what is bothering you will let the members give you some direction.

I say this in the most respectful way.

No issues, I know what you’re trying to say. After sleeping on it, I think that the Jamaica perception is strictly within my own mind. I can deal with that. I wanted to play with the azure, but the results of that were exactly as predicted by several forum members.

Overall, this original design is what is best, I just keep coming back to it (and that says alot).

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

23 December 2006 15:29

I love the original.  The colors, the bend, the crosses as opposed to the saltires—it all works and works well.

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

23 December 2006 15:49

Trent wrote:

I love the original.  The colors, the bend, the crosses as opposed to the saltires—it all works and works well.

Trent reminds me of something that is slightly different in the above rendition of my arms.

Originally I was using a very poorly drawn cross fleury image that I’d pulled off the web. After much cursing, I decided to simply make own and while doing so I squared the thing off (while retaining the fleury).

So my question is thus; in my current avatar image, are those crosses or saltires?

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

23 December 2006 15:54

It is crosses in this avatar and it was crosses in the previous one too.  The previous avatar had great crosses as well.

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

23 December 2006 16:09

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/JJDCross.gif

Good, thanks Trent. I worked pretty hard to get this thing right!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/CrossFleury.gif

Here’s what I was using (you can where I lengthed it somewhat). I much prefer the shortend squared-off version to this rectangular one. When coupled with a perfect 45° bend, it just looks fantastic.

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

23 December 2006 16:17

Yes, I like the shorter ones too—it’s a subtle touch that magnifies the distinctiveness of the design.

What graphics program are you using?

Where do you get your shields and charges from?

And what website do you use to insert images into your posts?

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

23 December 2006 16:25

Trent wrote:

Yes, I like the shorter ones too—it’s a subtle touch that magnifies the distinctiveness of the design.

Aye, it was a breakthrough of sorts (that and the bend angle).

Trent wrote:

What graphics program are you using?

I’m using Adobe Photoshop CE. I work exclusively in 300res, 16b, files.

Trent wrote:

Where do you get your shields and charges from?

I get them from all over the web. Basically I do a google search for X image and download the highest resolution image possible. I then clean it up as much as possible and create a negative form, which I then use to work with in photoshop.

Trent wrote:

And what website do you use to insert images into your posts?

Photobucket! :D

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

23 December 2006 16:27

loaba wrote:

So my question is thus; in my current avatar image, are those crosses or saltires?

They could be blazoned as either, however the cross flory is a more used, and therefore recognized, charge than a saltire flory. So, if it were me, I’d blazon it as six crosses flory palewise.

BTW, I think I like the new look of the crosses flory better than the passion crosses flory.  They are very appealing.  :D

Take care,

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

23 December 2006 16:34

PBlanton wrote:

They could be blazoned as either, however the cross flory is a more used, and therefore recognized, charge than a saltire flory. So, if it were me, I’d blazon it as six crosses flory palewise.

Aye, that’s my intent.

PBlanton wrote:

BTW, I think I like the new look of the crosses flory better than the passion crosses flory.  They are very appealing.  :D

Thanks, Phil. I like ‘em too. I notice you make a distinction between cross and passion cross. Am I correct that the term "passion cross" always refers to a cross with one longer arm? As in the cross depicted in the crucifixion of Christ?

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

23 December 2006 16:44

loaba wrote:

I notice you make a distinction between cross and passion cross. Am I correct that the term "passion cross" always refers to a cross with one longer arm? As in the cross depicted in the crucifixion of Christ?

You are correct. It can be termed a "passion cross" or a "long cross". See Parker’s Glossary for more information about the different types of crosses.

Take care,

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

24 December 2006 13:21

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/JJDArms_Scroll_sml.png

One step closer to finishing, think I’ve found a motto scroll that I like. Nevermind the actual text, that’s more of a place holder than anything else right now. A helm is next on the list, mantling after that.