Newbie Needs Help

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

05 December 2006 08:11

Hickman wrote:

I’m glad that—at least apparently—these arms are not already assumed, but now that I see an actual rendering of them, I’m inclined to agree.  They do look ecclesiastical…

I would just add that what makes arms ecclesiastical or not really has nothing to do with the charges on the field. It’s the external ornaments that make arms ecclesiastical looking. Choose whichever form of the cross you like. Clerics don’t have a monopoly on "churchy" looking charges. There are zillions of forms of cross that you can use but if a simple Latin cross is what you like best then use it.

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

05 December 2006 11:27

gselvester wrote:

Clerics don’t have a monopoly on "churchy" looking charges. There are zillions of forms of cross that you can use but if a simple Latin cross is what you like best then use it.

I certainly hope not :wink:

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

05 December 2006 12:38

Hickman wrote:

The passion cross is (big surprise) a symbol of my faith.  It, therefore, (IMHO) should be at the "heart" of the shield.  But I would like the cross to not be depicted as an ordinary on the inescucheon—just as a simple charge.  How would that be blazoned?

I guess I was asking, why not use a cross that is.. for lack of a better term… "Official" looking, that could still depict your faith well without giving the arms that ecclesiastical look. I might put something together tonight when I get home on photoshop to kinda show you what i mean.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

05 December 2006 21:30

Last name is better than some made-up nom de poste (which most of us don’t care for), but having a first name makes it a bit less formal & friendlier.

Welcome!

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

05 December 2006 22:28
ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

05 December 2006 22:32

Linusboarder wrote:

Here’s the ideas I had with the olive branches and moline crosses and stuff

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/48a28388ce.png

I think this would look great with the passion cross…

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

06 December 2006 00:27

Beautiful work, guys!  Linusboarder, that third one really speaks to me.  I think that the olive branches, though wonderfully designed, makes it too busy.  Besides, I was actually reserving the argent field for future generations.  But that third one is really close to what I have in mind.  The moline cross is a lot more like the "heraldic" cross on crusaders’ shields.  Would you mind if you were to display that for me, please?  Thanks in advance!

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Joined  01-12-2006

06 December 2006 00:37

Beautiful work, guys!  Linusboarder, that third one really speaks to me.  The olive branches, though wonderfully depicted, makes it seem too busy.  Besides, I was actually reserving the argent field for future generations.  But that third one is really, really close to what I have in mind.  The moline cross is a lot like the "heraldic" cross used on crusaders’ shields.  Would you mind displaying that for me, please?  Thanks in advance!

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

06 December 2006 00:44

Hickman wrote:

The moline cross is a lot more like the "heraldic" cross on crusaders’ shields.  Would you mind if you were to display that for me, please?  Thanks in advance!

What do you mean? You want to use this?

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Joined  01-12-2006

06 December 2006 00:59

I was wanting to see what it would look like with a regular, "heraldic" cross on the inescucheon.  That should make the design seem less ecclisiastical, while at the same time express my faith.  Please?

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

06 December 2006 01:15

I guess i don’t know what you mean by "heraldic cross" there are a boatload of them. I would go here

www.heraldicclipart.com and scroll to the cross section and pick out the one you are looking for

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

06 December 2006 01:21
Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Joined  01-12-2006

06 December 2006 01:46

I apologize.  What I mean is, the "defalt" cross used as an ordinary, as in:  Argent, within a bordure azure an inescucheon of the second (charged with) a cross of the first.

AVD1

AVD1
Total Posts:  169
Joined  31-08-2006

06 December 2006 02:00

It looks to me VERY "ecclesiastical", I agree in general terms that less is more but in this case olive branches or not the whole coat looks ecclesiastical.

What about using the cross in the crest?

Is there any other interest, tradition or achievments you’d like to represent?

I generally agree with the rule "Less is More" but maybe some kind of partition will help to make a more secular design. Just my 2 cents.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

06 December 2006 10:58

Hickman wrote:

I apologize.  What I mean is, the "defalt" cross used as an ordinary, as in:  Argent, within a bordure azure an inescucheon of the second (charged with) a cross of the first.

I think this would look like a + sign, very similar to a passion cross

And I agree that it still looks very ecclesiastical, in my eye, maybe instead of one cross, maybe 3 might server it better