Settling this the easiest way:

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

14 January 2007 14:12

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/bbdc5e1a76.gif

Pick one!

I posted a poll with this, not sure how that works, so just tell me which one you chose and that will be my coat of arms and crest so that I can PM it to Michael Swanson to be added to Member’s Arms List, PM it to Denny so he can make my rendition, and register it (thought I was gonna say PM, eh?) with the United States Heraldic Registery. And so that I can finally have a coat of arms and "graduate" from this heraldic stage, and possibly be getting a signet ring and/or embosser in the, hopefully, near future.

Regards, at the end of his heraldic rope:

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

14 January 2007 14:20

Don’t think the poll came thru, but I’ll "vote" anyway.  If it was me, I’d go with option 2.  But I’m going to stress again that you are the one who will bear these arms, no one else.  If the design doesn’t speak to you don’t adopt it.  Go with what you like best, everyone else’s opinion is just that, an opinion.

Thomas Pinkney Davis

Thomas Pinkney Davis
Total Posts:  17
Joined  01-04-2006

14 January 2007 14:33

I would opt for crest number 1 since it could very well have adorned a medieval helmet while crest number 2 is more in the realm of paper heraldry.

Having said that, I would just echo the sentiment to adopt the design that speaks to you.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

14 January 2007 14:50

I coose to abstain, because it is a decision that you should make. I will give you my input, but ultimately the decision is yours.

I might be worried that using the Eqyption Royal Emblem might be confusing for some, and they might mistake you as a decendant of the royal family of Egypt (you might be a decendant, in which case go ahead and use that crest), wheras the ottoman one is less likely to draw that conclusion IMO.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

14 January 2007 17:22

As it requires something to float in the air, and thus you’re going to have a hard time getting it on a helmet.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

14 January 2007 18:12

I also will not vote as this is a highly personal decision. By the way, Hugh Brady is the Secretary now. Emailing your arms to Michael Swanson will not get them posted in the Members Arms pages…he is no longer secretary and no longer has those permissions. However, when you register with USHR, you will be dealing with Michael Swanson.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

14 January 2007 20:50

Well, for number two when I get it made, I am going to have it connected to the three stars connected to the crescent the same as on old egyptian flag finials that do consist of the said emblem. This depiction was more or less to show you what the symbol looks like.

Hmm, I guess I have already made my decision then! BTW, the royal Egyptian and Khedivial arms were a crescent or decrescent (respectively) and three mullets argent. Would making it Or be enough of a difference?

I guess that I have now settled on a design. Thanks to all who took part in voting, or wil take part. Now you know what you must vote for. (arrggh :wookie:  jk!)

You may now consider the poll closed. I PM’ed Secretary Brady, and will await his response. Meanwhile I will now register them with the USHR.

regards and thanks for assistance in the designing process with all its frustrations and great ideas,

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

15 January 2007 01:21

you also can’t get them added by emailing Hugh Brady. as i understand it, the only one with these powers is T.R. so you have no choice but to email them to him and wait for when he can get them on board.

it is very personal. i won’t tell you what to choose. however, if I were the one whose arms these were assigned to i’d go with # 1. but that’s me and you must decide for yourself.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

15 January 2007 01:47

Linusboarder wrote:

I coose to abstain, because it is a decision that you should make…ultimately the decision is yours.

I also abstain, for the same reasons.  However, I will support your (not the forum members’) decision either way, because your arms say something about YOU—who YOU are, where YOU come from, and what YOU’RE passionate about.  It will speak of you for generations to come.  So the big question is, which one will YOU vote for.  All other votes on this is (respectfully) irrelavent.

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

15 January 2007 03:38

Perhaps I should abide by the old adage that if you don’t have anything nice to say….  But I am going to share an observation, please do not construe this as an offense…

...but, it seems your design motif of crescents and stars, while heraldicly and symbolically 100% acceptable, it strikes me as a touch unimaginative.  In the Christian tradition there are a great many different symbols which embody faith, devotion, piety, purity, etc. etc. other than the cross, I would imagine that there are equally many other symbols associated with Islamic virtues in addition to the crescent.

Now, that being said, if your chosen design, with the repetition of the crescent, speaks to you and evokes the message you want it to, more power to you. As has been pointed out above, you and no one else hold the binding decisions.

But there you go, unsolicited criticism, what’s more, from some one who’s arms included a doubly outlined and emphasized, unimaginative symbol of his faith… go figure…

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

15 January 2007 12:22

Donnchadh wrote:

you also can’t get them added by emailing Hugh Brady. as i understand it, the only one with these powers is T.R. so you have no choice but to email them to him and wait for when he can get them on board.

You may be right, but I had understood that he did some ‘basic’ training with some of the board members and I had thought that included the members arms page. I may be wrong, however….wouldn’t be the first time! wink

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

15 January 2007 12:39

Mohammed,

I prefer, the first version, but I’m concerned that you are moving too fast.

If if recall correctly, you’ve been equally enthusiastic about all versions of your arms being "the final version" over the past few months.

Don’t rush to settle on a CoA just so you can have it posted in this or any other armorial or get a signet ring or embossed stationery.  Those are superficial reasons.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

15 January 2007 19:47

but have thought about it, and this is the arms I have chosen for myself, and I have already emailed the USHR people and am awaiting their response.

Once again, thank you for all your input, suggestions, and well founded criticsims.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

16 January 2007 02:41

MohamedHossam wrote:

but have thought about it, and this is the arms I have chosen for myself, and I have already emailed the USHR people and am awaiting their response.

Once again, thank you for all your input, suggestions, and well founded criticsims.

Very clever, have a contests and see which way you root. If one starts pulling ahead you either go "yeah" or "darn" and you know how you really feel.

trixie that Mohamed Hossam is

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

16 January 2007 09:25

hehe, lol!

I’m surprised more people don’t do this! I will call it; Mohamed Hossam’s Patented Arms Decider-o-matic Poll!

Brian

Brian
Total Posts:  145
Joined  07-12-2004

16 January 2007 11:03

I’m also available for graphic renderings of arms.  Just PM for examples of some of my recent commissions.

All my best.