Essential Heraldic Accessories

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

09 February 2007 13:42

Quote:

of course no one would try to eat soup by trying to balance it on the back of the spoon!

Then surely that would be a "mark of higher manners" for it would be "complicated and less utilitarian." wink

/Charles

Sunil Saigal

Sunil Saigal
Total Posts:  49
Joined  27-09-2005

09 February 2007 16:00

Joseph McMillan wrote:

Going to David’s point, Judith Martin (Miss Manners) observed in a lecture she gave at Harvard that at one time European and American etiquette on the use of knives and forks was the same—you cut the meat with the knive in the right hand, then switched the fork around and put the food in your mouth with the right hand, tines up. At some point, however, the Europeans changed and adopted the fashion they use today. She points out (only slightly satirically) that since the mark of higher manners is that they are more formalized and complicated and less utilitarian, the American style is not only older (therefore better) but also more civilized.

Remaining firmly off-topic, I might, as a European who has lived in the United States for a total of more than a decade, and therefore has had to take a personal stance in whether to apply American or European etiquette with regard to the use of knife and fork, be so bold as to take issue with that American icon of polite comportment, Ms. Martin (sharp intake of breath – “How dare he?!!”).  Perish the thought that I should take issue with the Director of Education.

Without in any way commenting on the correctness of American versus European table manners, I submit that the newfangled European fashion is in fact the more practical.  Rather than – as I have observed the American custom to be – picking up the knife with one’s right hand and the fork with one’s left hand (or vice versa if one happens to be left-handed), cutting one’s food using both implements, putting both down, and shifting one’s fork from the left to the right hand in order finally to transfer the food to one’s mouth, a European tends to take his (or indeed her) knife in his right hand, his fork in his left hand (or, as before, vice versa as appropriate), where they remain throughout the cutting and transferring, the knife occasionally and handily serving as an aid in ensuring that food is sufficiently securely skewered on the fork before making the precarious travel to the mouth.  This prevents having to chase unruly bits of food around the plate.  Ergo, the European style would seem to be the more utilitarian.

I concede that the European practice may be the more complicated, as it does after all require a greater degree of coordination in the continuous, rather than intermittent, simultaneous use of as many as two implements.

Sorry, what is the icon for “tongue in cheek” again?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

09 February 2007 16:36

Sunil Saigal wrote:

I submit that the newfangled European fashion is in fact the more practical.  (snip) the European style would seem to be the more utilitarian.

Yes, which is precisely why Judith Martin argues that it is less civilized.  If practicality is the objective, why not just pick up the plate and slide the contents into your mouth with your fingers?  wink

(Exchange between Henry II and Becket in the film Becket:

King:  Why would I want to use a fork?

Becket:  It keeps your fingers from getting dirty.

King:  But then the fork gets dirty.

Becket:  You can wash the fork.

King:  You can wash your hands.  I don’t see the point.)

J Duncan of Sketraw

J Duncan of Sketraw
Total Posts:  271
Joined  15-01-2006

09 February 2007 18:05

Sheesh…...I didn’t know you Americans used knives and forks :-D

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

09 February 2007 20:56

"Sheesh…...I didn’t know you Americans used knives and forks"

Actually I much prefer chopsticks, except of course for soup.

Its beginning to sound like use of heraldry on calling cards is a bit like displaying non-governmental gongs with one’s arms—OK perhaps "within the circle" but not in general use.  Too bad.  If any of us shluld make it to Quebec for the next Congress, I would hope that the interest in sharing heraldry would outweigh Ms. Vanderbilt’s ruling, at least in that setting.

And if anyone should join our little group of heraldry enthusiasts in Mountain View for lunch, I can quarantee that we would not be scandalized by a bit of calling card emblazonment.

J Duncan of Sketraw

J Duncan of Sketraw
Total Posts:  271
Joined  15-01-2006

09 February 2007 21:53

Michael F. McCartney wrote:

Its beginning to sound like use of heraldry on calling cards is a bit like displaying non-governmental gongs with one’s arms—OK perhaps "within the circle" but not in general use. Too bad.

Was this a wee snipe at me Michael?

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

10 February 2007 01:21

David Pritchard wrote:

If one eats with the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right with both implements working together, the tines would normally be downward unless one was eating peas or some other tricky food.

Though we’re now well OT I’m disappointed that no one seems to know the correct method for the eating of peas, which is of course to line them up in single file on the blade of the knife wink

James

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

10 February 2007 10:17

Drake,

Why is the crest on your card different from the crest of your avatar?

Sunil Saigal

Sunil Saigal
Total Posts:  49
Joined  27-09-2005

10 February 2007 10:29

Joseph McMillan wrote:

Yes, which is precisely why Judith Martin argues that it is less civilized.  If practicality is the objective, why not just pick up the plate and slide the contents into your mouth with your fingers?  wink

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

10 February 2007 10:36

Trent wrote:

Drake,

Why is the crest on your card different from the crest of your avatar?

Please, call me Charles.  grin

The simple answer is that I have two crests, and for the card I like the older one better.

The longer answer is one which I am planning to tell once I have the post properly composed.

Kind regards,

/Charles

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

10 February 2007 12:28

James Dempster wrote:

Though we’re now well OT I’m disappointed that no one seems to know the correct method for the eating of peas, which is of course to line them up in single file on the blade of the knife :-D

A short poem from my wife’s childhood:

I eat my peas with honey;

I’ve done it all my life.

It makes the peas taste funny,

but it keeps them on my knife.

Now…back to heraldry!

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

10 February 2007 14:55

David Boven wrote:

A short poem from my wife’s childhood:

I eat my peas with honey;

I’ve done it all my life.

It makes the peas taste funny,

but it keeps them on my knife.

Now…back to heraldry!

Okay, howzabout Checky Gules and Argent on the blade of a table knife fesswise Or six pommes?

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

10 February 2007 20:31

Charles,

I think we’re all going to be anxiously waiting to hear that story.  Two crests.  Intriguing.