Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

01 September 2007 23:08

http://www.augustansociety.org/

Quote:

05/20/2007

Despite two years of near silence, our Augustan Society is still alive, and preparing to return to normal operations. During the interregnum, there have been a number of changes, and we hope to explain them to you in this news column. Not all changes are favorable, but most of the unfavorable ones are temporary. One that we hope you’ll approve of is that we will be involving more of you in the operations of our Society. Watch for more announcements about this in the coming year.

Quote:

Where Now?

06/09/2007

If the Society headquarters is no longer in Daggett, California, where is it? At present, the library and museum collections are in storage (700 square feet packed 7-feet high) and the office is housed in the Metcalfs’ dining room. And living room. And guest room. (Hence their interest in securing temporary facilities.) All of these are located in Orlando, Florida. Sir John Caffey managed the packing and move, driving one of the three truckloads the 2500 miles, for which he is owed much gratitude.

We expect to secure temporary quarters nearby. It is not yet clear if we will be able to obtain space for only an office, an office and library, or if space for the museum and other amenities will also be within our budget. We shall keep you informed.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

02 September 2007 00:39

A rather unusual organisation that is very hard to define. Even the Augustan Society’s own description of itself is rather wide in scope: An International Genealogical, Historical, Heraldic, and Chivalric Society. My hope is that their storage unit in Orlando is air conditioned for the sake of their large library. I do hope that the Augustan Society opens to the public in Orlando as that is not too far of a drive for me.

DRShorey

DRShorey
Total Posts:  528
Joined  11-12-2005

02 September 2007 12:50

I took the opportunity to send an email to the Augustan Society expressing AHS’s best wishes as they go though this period of transition. I received a very pleasant reply indicating their interest in working on projects of mutual interest when things are settled for them.

Dave Shorey

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

03 September 2007 00:15

Good job, David!  I know that we’ve had it hard for awhile, but that was just a minor inconvenience compared to what they’ve had to go through!  I pray that they have it much easier, now.