US Visit

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

30 September 2007 01:03

As I mentioned in passing in an earlier thread, I will be in the US next weekend for a family wedding. I’m afraid that it will be a flying visit so I’m not planning to go and look at interesting heraldry , but I’d rather not miss out through ignorance on any that is only a short distance away.

I’ll be flying into Newark and then in Eatontown, Long Branch and West Long Branch, Fort Monmouth (I’ll not be taking a camera there) and at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Long Branch.

Any must sees?

James

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

30 September 2007 22:40

Yes.  See as much of America as you can.  The leaves, according to The Weather Channel, have already passed their peak in that region, but their is so much else to see in the States that one could only start with that which captures one’s attention!  However, I reccomend that you start with the churches.  They’re a lot more scarce in the Northeast than in the Southeast, but those in the former are generally much older and have significantly more character.  They also have beautiful artwork—both religious and, sometimes, heraldic.  :cool:

I hope that you have a wonderful time here in the U.S., James.  I believe that you’ll enjoy your visit.  :D

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

30 September 2007 23:14

You’ll only be about 35 miles southeast of where I’m sitting right now! If you do get the chance to see it go to the Cathedral-Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark. It is a gorgeous church well worth seeing. It is actually larger than New York’s St. Patrick’s cathedral and far prettier.

James Dempster

James Dempster
Joined  20-05-2004

13 October 2007 02:46

Thanks to both Stephen and Father Guy for their suggestions. I’m afraid that I saw no heraldry but had a splendid time nonetheless and have been given strict orders to go back to the US to visit "aunt" Nancy in Georgia *or else*.

Flying in on Thursday evening and back out again on Monday afternoon didn’t leave much time for sightseeing as I was a bit tired on the Friday. On Thursday night I was persuaded to go and eat with those members of the family who had already arrived which meant I was up 23 hours non-stop. Saturday was wedding and Sunday afternoon involved the Giants-Jets game on TV with a cousin, some of his friends, beer and some very hot chilli sauce - so all in all an very American Sunday :D

The church was worth seeing - if non-heraldic. 100 years old, tiny and very simple, inside and out, the latter making the stained glass so much richer than had it been competing with wall decoration. That the wedding filled it was so much better than the 10% fill of a huge chilly 1,500+ seater church that I’ve sometimes seen at weddings here in Scotland. Chill was the least of my worries in full kilt rig in the glorious weather. If the church had air-con it didn’t feel like it. The priest was also very good (if as the only Presbyterian in the place I can be any judge).

Just to bring some heraldry in to this - does anyone know if the USS City of Corpus Christi has arms or a badge? One of my cousins is about to take command.

James

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

13 October 2007 03:03

James Dempster;50609 wrote:

Just to bring some heraldry in to this - does anyone know if the USS City of Corpus Christi has arms or a badge? One of my cousins is about to take command.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
Here is the submarine’s badge:

http://www.psapac.navy.mil/psdguam/ssn705.gif
</div>

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

13 October 2007 10:14

James Dempster;50609 wrote:

The church was worth seeing - if non-heraldic. 100 years old, tiny and very simple, inside and out, the latter making the stained glass so much richer than had it been competing with wall decoration.

http://www.holytrinity-longbranch.org/ealtar05.JPG

James Dempster

James Dempster
Joined  20-05-2004

13 October 2007 16:46

That’s it. Though with more floral decoration than at cousin Kelly’s wedding.

James

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

14 October 2007 03:04

Exquisite!