Crest… (Terry S )

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

29 March 2008 23:13

Hi all -

Here is the design I came up with for the crest.  I was originally thinking of having the sea lion holding the trident, but I came up with this and I think it is pretty original.  The sea lion is for my love of the ocean (never can stay away for too long even thou I live in CO.) and the trident is for my Naval service.

The only thing I am not so sure about is the sable trident.  Any input would of course be welcome.

http://omega1.us/personal/new/crest.bmp

Here is more of an "achievement" size one.

http://omega1.us/personal/new/crest-small.bmp

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

29 March 2008 23:54

This is a neat idea, but offhand, it looks more like a badge to me than a crest. I may have to put this on my fridge and see what I think after a few days. smile

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

30 March 2008 00:00

kmansfield;56407 wrote:

This is a neat idea, but offhand, it looks more like a badge to me than a crest. I may have to put this on my fridge and see what I think after a few days. smile

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

30 March 2008 00:48

I do not think that we should over think this when there is something very good in hand. Yes the device looks like a badge but many medieval badges were derived from crests. Why not simply put the badge on a torse. The concept of the sea-lion entwined with the trident makes for excellent heraldry be it as a badge, a crest or both. By the way, my ash tree crest was derived from my badge, not the other way around, see here: http://americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=Armorial.PritchardD

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

30 March 2008 01:11

As per David’s suggestion…here is the smaller one on a torse.  I also removed the piece of the trident that was below the sea-lion so he sits a bit better.

http://omega1.us/personal/new/crest-small1.bmp

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

30 March 2008 02:42

I would suggest making the trident Azure.  Nothing says "Navy" like ocean-blue!  This would also make the crest seem less like a badge.  BTW, thank you for serving in our Armed Forces!  :USA:

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

30 March 2008 08:55

What was I thinking before? This clearly looks like a crest. wink

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

30 March 2008 12:53

As per the suggestion of Stephen, here is the trident Azure for comparison.

http://omega1.us/personal/new/crest-small-blue.bmp

So,  couple questions concern the blazon.

I have seen the sea-lion’s position (the one above) listed as the "default" position of the sea-lion.  Yet I have also seen it described as sejant-erect.  Are they both correct or is one more accurate?

I am also assuming that langued on a sea-lion is the same as a lion.  Default being Gules unless otherwise stated.  Is this correct?

Attempt at the blazon - I have two since I am not sure yet of the position description.

A heraldic sea-lion Argent, langued, entwined with a trident Sable (or Azure if I use the second)

A heraldic seal-lion sejant-erect Argent, langued, entwined with a trident Sable

Are these blazons correct?  Thanks!

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

30 March 2008 13:27

This is indeed the default position for a sea lion.

And you don’t need to mention the word "langued" unless you’re going to specify the tincture.

But you do need to specify that you’re not showing the entire trident.

I would say "a sea lion Argent its tail entwined around the shaft and center tine of a trident’s head issuant Azure."

Or something like that.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

30 March 2008 14:08

When I was attempting to blazon my badge, I was told that I needed to work my way from back to front. Would that apply here?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

30 March 2008 16:53

Stephen R. Hickman;56417 wrote:

I would suggest making the trident Azure.  Nothing says "Navy" like ocean-blue!  This would also make the crest seem less like a badge.

I would agree with Stephen about the use of blue if your shield was not red and white stripped in a way. A bit too much like the US flag, not that I am anti-American and unwilling to wear a flag pin to prove it! As it is the black contrasts well with the white but does summon up a tired and clichéd colour scheme.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

30 March 2008 17:00

I agree with David.  How about making the trident Gules?  Or, for that matter, making the trident Argent and the sea-horse Gules?

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

01 April 2008 19:50

Hi all,

Thank you again for all of your input and advice.  I have actually decided to keep the crest Argent and Sable.  I decided on this for the following reasons.  The argent sea-lion with the gules tongue ties into the rest of the COA.  The sable anchor helps in making the crest stand out as well as not adding more Gules to an already almost overwhelming amount in a full achievement.

I think what may be making some of you think more of a badge and less of a crest and also not like the sable, is the current shape and design of trident that I created.  I believe a more traditional version of the trident will create a much different appearance while still expressing what I wanted.

Since so many of you have helped me and only have seen pieces of everything, I have attached a graphic of the full achievement below.  I didn’t feel like drawing out the scroll right now….so I didn’t.  smile

http://omega1.us/personal/new/fullachiev.bmp

Motto: Honor virutis preamium - Honour is the reward of virtue (believe I got it right)

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

01 April 2008 22:20

Wow, Terry!  That is awesome!  Now you have a coat of arms that you can display with pride!  :D

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

01 April 2008 23:02

Terry,

Sorry I’m a little late to this thread.  I real like your choice of crest, and I’m glad you decided on Sable rather than Azure.  I think adding another Tincture would only have confused a rather beautifully "monochromatic" design.

As for your emblazonment, it’s really good.  I have only one small criticism.  The crest should be a little larger in relation to the rest of the design.  I would make it at least the same general size as the helm.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

02 April 2008 00:48

I don’t claim to be a Latinist, but the motto doesn’t look quite right.

This much I’m sure about: There is a "t" missing:"virtutis," not "virutis." Also, the vowels of the diphthong are transposed: "praemium"—not "preamium."

What I’m not so sure about is the syntax and style. "Honor virtutis" could be translated "the honor of virtue." The syntax may need to be "Honor praemium virtutis"—literally "Honor, the reward of virtue." I’m not sure, though, whether that’s the best Latin style. Help, anyone?