Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

22 August 2008 20:19

Charles Glass;62565 wrote:

Lichères près Aigremont, France

[ATTACH]497[/ATTACH]

Let’s call the trees and acorns "proper" and consider the overall achievement as "busy."  However, it certainly is uniquie and I have to admit that I kind of like it.

Color violations or not, that’s a mess.

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

22 August 2008 20:28

I agree with Kenneth.  It is very jumbled and odd looking.  In this case, I am glad it is unique!:lol:

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

22 August 2008 20:30

Charles Glass;62565 wrote:

Lichères près Aigremont, France

[ATTACH]497[/ATTACH]

Let’s call the trees and acorns "proper" and consider the overall achievement as "busy."  However, it certainly is uniquie and I have to admit that I kind of like it.

While the Welsh flag will fly, according to some, at the entrance to Hell, these arms will appear on the gate.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

23 August 2008 12:40

Michael Swanson;62575 wrote:

While the Welsh flag will fly, according to some, at the entrance to Hell, these arms will appear on the gate.

It has been said by some, "Better to reign in Hell than serve as a slave in Heaven".  Personally, I think those who so excoriate the Welsh flag are only anxious to have friends waiting for them.

Of course, it’s all academic to me.  I’m Scottish, since 863 AD.  :D

But I do agree about the decorations on the Gates thereof.  (Unless, of course, the Lyon’s rules apply there!)

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Total Posts:  265
Joined  12-06-2007

26 August 2008 22:37

Biache-Saint-Vaast, France

[ATTACH]513[/ATTACH]

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Joined  12-06-2007

26 August 2008 22:53

Wallachia, Romania

[ATTACH]514[/ATTACH]

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

26 August 2008 23:21

those of wallachia could be defended as proper, and protected from the rule

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

27 August 2008 05:22

xanderliptak;62770 wrote:

those of wallachia could be defended as proper, and protected from the rule

Oh well, one can say this about nearly all other arms shewn here!

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

01 September 2008 10:52

Just back from vacation and trying to catch up on the Forum.

Though the French municipal arms shown on this thread would all be better if they had observed the tincture rule, I have to give them some credit for bold simplicity—dare I say, almost a Germanic/Scandinavian simplicity?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

01 September 2008 11:18

I would venture to guess that most if not all of the examples Charles is posting of French municipal arms that violate the rule of tincture are relatively recent designs by people who either don’t know or don’t care any better.  For Biache-St-Vaast, Ralf Hartemink’s "Heraldry of the World" site (formerly "International Civic Arms") has some comments provided one of his contributors:  "The red background symbolised the political colour of the city (as it was communist for a long time), the wheel symbolised the industries in the town and the water lily the many ponds in Biache."

I don’t think we can deduce anything from such an example about whether the rule of tincture applies in French heraldry, any more than we can deduce anything about the applicability of various heraldic rules elsewhere from similar amateur designs.

For what it’s worth:  Michel Pastoureau is probably the preeminent French heraldic scholar of our time, and he says (in Heraldry:  Its Origins and Meaning, pp. 46-47), "The basic rule is that colour may not be placed on a colour or a metal on a metal…. These fundamental rules have existed since the origin of arms and have almost always been respected—it is rare to find one per cent of infringements in a given body of arms."

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Joined  12-06-2007

19 September 2008 21:48

Baños de Ebro, Spain

[ATTACH]531[/ATTACH]

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Joined  20-06-2008

20 September 2008 13:08

How long have they had that shield?  I mean is it ancient, or post-Civil War?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

20 September 2008 21:44

Doug Welsh;63441 wrote:

How long have they had that shield?  I mean is it ancient, or post-Civil War?

Though I do not know the exact answer, I would venture to say that the bicephalus eagle represents the Spanish Hapsburgs (Holy Roman Emperors). If the coat-of-arms were created around the Spanish Civil War or later, the eagle would have one head and represent the Eagle of Saint John the Evangelist, the eagle favoured by the Falange Española of Generalissimo Franco.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Joined  20-06-2008

21 September 2008 12:29

David Pritchard;63444 wrote:

Though I do not know the exact answer, I would venture to say that the bicephalus eagle represents the Spanish Hapburgs (Holy Roman Emperors). If the coat-of-arms were created around the Spanish Civil War or later, the eagle would have one head and represent the Eagle of Saint John the Evangelist, the eagle favoured by the Falange Española of Generalissimo Franco.

Then, this shield is more likely to be an "ancient offense" against taste and tincture, rather than a "modern offense" against the same?

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

21 September 2008 14:05

Doug Welsh;63445 wrote:

Then, this shield is more likely to be an "ancient offense" against taste and tincture, rather than a "modern offense" against the same?

Or, if it was old, the white paint may have turned blue with age.  Or a silver eagle may have tarnished and turned black.