Georgia

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

08 August 2008 14:05

Not trying to make light of situation in south ossetia (or provoke a debate), but can anyone identify what coat of arms is on the flag behind Georgian President Saakashvili’s right shoulder?

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9447/dudexr2.jpg

EDIT: I guess I should add, the image is from the past 24 hours.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

08 August 2008 14:18

The flag is identified by Viktor Lomantsov on Flags of the World http://www.fotw.net/flags/ge.html#prr as the "former" Georgian presidential flag, and the arms are similar to a design rejected by the Georgian parliament in 2004 http://www.fotw.net/flags/ge).html#les.  Lomantsov says that the rejected design was used by the president anyway on the national holiday celebration.  Apparently still on the presidential flag as well.

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

08 August 2008 14:22

I’m not taken with the national arms of Georgia, but I do really like their current flag.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

08 August 2008 14:43

Those are the arms of the Bagrationi family (former kings of Georgia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_the_Bagrationi_dynasty

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

08 August 2008 14:44

Madalch;61890 wrote:

I’m not taken with the national arms of Georgia, but I do really like their current flag.

Agreed.

I also note the EU flag, but don’t understand Georgia to be a member (athough it is clearly a goal).  I don’t suppose it’s considered improper to speak in front of it at a time like this?

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

08 August 2008 16:23

Mark Olivo;61893 wrote:

Agreed.

I also note the EU flag, but don’t understand Georgia to be a member (athough it is clearly a goal).  I don’t suppose it’s considered improper to speak in front of it at a time like this?

NATO, of which they are a "sort-of" member?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

08 August 2008 17:38

kimon;61892 wrote:

Those are the arms of the Bagrationi family (former kings of Georgia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_the_Bagrationi_dynasty

Actually the coat-of-arms seen on the unauthorised Georgian Presidential Flag are a variation of the arms of the Royal House of Bagration as the first and second quarters are different, the ordinary of a cross Or is missing and the inescutcheon overall of the Seamless Tunic of Our Lord Jesus Christ appears to have a field of Or or Argent rather than the traditional Gules.
<div class=“bbcode_center” >
The Royal Arms of the House of Bagration

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5698/bagrationgerbialvp1.jpg
</div>

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

08 August 2008 17:51

Doug Welsh;61898 wrote:

NATO, of which they are a "sort-of" member?

The Republic of Georgia is a member of the Partnership For Peace program of NATO. The greater US/NATO role in training the military of Georgia stems from the fact that Chechen Islamic militants were and are finding refuge in the more inaccessible mountainous regions along the Georgian border with Chechnya.

The Republic of Georgia has had a Partnership and Co-operation Agreement with the European Union since 1999.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

08 August 2008 18:03

It should be noted the the EU Flag is also the Flag of the Council of Europe of which Georgia is a member. The Council of Europe was founded in 1949 and is separate from the EU (and its predecessors). It adopted the blue Flag with the Stars in 1955, the same Flag was adopted in 1986 by the EU (or EC = European Community or more correct Communities as it was then). This is naturaly a rather akward situatation and should never been allowed in the first place if you ask me.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

08 August 2008 18:49

Actually there are two Royal branches of Bagrations (that of Georgia/Kartalinia and that of Imeretia) and several princely and noble ones (the princely Moukhrani branch being most known), all having different versions of the common arms.

The arms on the presidential banner contain no quartering with the attributes of King David, which illustrate the Bagratides’ descent; a quartering with saltire and a cross of St.Nina overall is included instead.

Hopefully a new standard will be approved, to correspond better to the arms of the State.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

08 August 2008 18:53

Michael Y. Medvedev;61910 wrote:

Hopefully a new standard will be approved, to correspond better to the arms of the State.

the banner of the state arms, gules with s. george, with crosses argent in each corner like the state flag would look nice. the counterchanged colours would go well next to each other.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

08 August 2008 19:47

Michael Y. Medvedev;61910 wrote:

Actually there are two Royal branches of Bagrations (that of Georgia/Kartalinia and that of Imeretia) and several princely and noble ones (the princely Moukhrani branch being most known), all having different versions of the common arms.

The arms on the presidential banner contain no quartering with the attributes of King David, which illustrate the Bagratides’ descent; a quartering with saltire and a cross of St.Nina overall is included instead.

You are correct in this statement regarding the variations of the arms of the branches of the ancient Bagratid Dynasty. It should be mentioned however that the Moukhrani-Bagrations are the senior male line of the dynasty and were the heads of the Royal House of Georgia prior to their being displaced by a cadet line.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

08 August 2008 19:54

xanderliptak;61911 wrote:

the banner of the state arms, gules with s. george, with crosses argent in each corner like the state flag would look nice. the counterchanged colours would go well next to each other.

I think that this would make a fine coat-of-arms, as retaining the present arms, Gules, Saint George slaying a dragon Proper, opens the Republic of Georgia up to claims on its territory by the Mayor of Moscow.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
The Greater Coat-of-Arms of the Republic of Georgia

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/3534/460pxcoatofarmsofgeorgimi4.png

The Coat-of-Arms of the City of Moscow

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/8976/200pxcoatofarmsofmoscowdq4.png

The Coat-of-Arms of the Moscow Gubnariya (province)

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/1975/coatofarmsofmoscowguberbr5.png
</div>

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

09 August 2008 02:37

pfft they are so clearly different grin

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Joined  18-01-2008

09 August 2008 03:51

David Pritchard;61913 wrote:

...retaining the present arms, Gules, Saint George slaying a dragon Proper, opens the Republic of Georgia up to claims on its territory by the Mayor of Moscow.

Ha ha, David, no more than Cromwell claimed Genoa.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Joined  18-01-2008

09 August 2008 04:19

David Pritchard;61912 wrote:

It should be mentioned however that the Moukhrani-Bagrations are the senior male line of the dynasty and were the heads of the Royal House of Georgia prior to their being displaced by a cadet line.

Dear David,

there were two sub-branches of the Moukhrani branch of the Bagratides; the senior was adopted by a King of Kartalinia [Georgia proper] and became royal, but then lost the throne (in favour of the Kakhetian Bagrationi Kings who reunited the two realms of Kartalinia and Kakhetia) and is extinct since the end of the 19th century. The second line was not covered by the adoption; this direct line of the Moukhranbatoni ancestors of the present Moukhrani-Bagrations never was royal and accepted its cadet position under the rule of the Kakhetian branch. The Moukhrani modern claim to the headship of the Royal House of Georgia was originally based on the [erroneous] presumption that the Royal line of Kartalinia-Kakhetia, which failed to emigrate, could not survive under the Soviet tyranny. Thanks God, the Royal line survived and if, after discovering this, the Moukhrani line maintains its headship claim, this is largely due to the purely practical, political expectations.