Arms for Harry Potter

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

01 June 2010 13:43

I know this makes me a kids’ book geek, but I was pondering the other day what a grant of arms for Harry Potter might be. After all, I’m sure he’d get some sort of recognition after saving all of Great Britain, perhaps the world, from Lord Voldemort. Anyway, this is what I came up with. Gyronny of eight Or and Gules overall a Stag springing Argent and for a crest on a wreath of the colors in front of a Holly Tree proper a Phoenix Gules in flame proper.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2457/potterharry.png

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

01 June 2010 15:37

I like it!

But, shouldn’t the phoenix be hanging from a collar surrounding the shield? It was an Order after all…

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

01 June 2010 18:51

kimon;76797 wrote:

I like it!

But, shouldn’t the phoenix be hanging from a collar surrounding the shield? It was an Order after all…

It was an Order, but Fawkes was also a bird that saved Harry once or twice.

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

02 June 2010 00:25

What is the significance of the deer?  I though Harry and his father were both members of Gryffindor.  According to Wikipedia:

<div class=“bbcode_indent” >
"Gryffindor values courage, bravery, loyalty, nerve and chivalry. Its mascot is the lion, and its colours are scarlet and gold."
</div>

So wouldn’t a lion or a lion hybrid like a griffin be a more appropriate animal than a deer?

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

02 June 2010 00:49

It is actually a very nice design.  I never read the books, but I saw a few of the movies.  A stag was in one, was it not?  Where Harry was confused for some ghostly stag or something of the sort?

Since we are discussing Harry Potter, why not mention the heraldry in the book.  I think the houses or clubs or whatever they are have each a coat of arms for them I believe each quarter of the Hogwart’s school below represents the arms of each house.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e6/Hogwarts_crest.png

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Total Posts:  265
Joined  12-06-2007

02 June 2010 00:49

Nice arms!  I believe the stag is the animal which both Harry and his father had as a "familiar" or something along those lines.  Would it surprise anyone to find that there is a category in Wikimedia with arms that have been devised for various Harry Potter schools and dorms? http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Harry_Potter_Blazons

Madalch

Madalch
Joined  30-09-2005

02 June 2010 02:00

eploy;76800 wrote:

What is the significance of the deer?

Expecto patronum!!

It’s very significant, and more personal to Harry than his membership in Griffyndor.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

02 June 2010 09:48

I should have spelled everything out in the original post, so here goes….

The division of the field is gyronny, which divides the shield into triangles. The triangle represents the one of the three Deathly Hallows - the invisibility cloak - that has been passed down through the generations on his father’s side to Harry. The colors of the field are Gules and Or for Gryffindor, Harry’s house at Hogwarts. Harry’s patronus (a magic familiar made of silver vapor) is a stag, thus the primary charge. The crest is a Phoenix and Holly tree because Harry’s wand (which "chose" him) is made of Holly with a Phoenix tail feather for its core.

It’s not just pretty. It’s meaningful. wink

kimon

kimon
Joined  28-03-2008

02 June 2010 11:16

Meaningful and pretty indeed!

But, since I can’t help myself from tweaking it smile

I’d make the holly tree’s bark charged with a single phoenix feather and still make the phoenix itself an order

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

02 June 2010 11:23

I see what you’re saying, but my thinking is that the tree and the bird are both the sources of the materials. Also, as the order is not really a chivalric order, there is no insignia for it to be displayed.

kimon

kimon
Joined  28-03-2008

02 June 2010 11:38

I see your point but, the order did save Britain and the world so, since we’re talking about fiction, it could be elevated to a full Order

Of course (as expected) the next, inevitable, step is to discuss supporters :D

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

02 June 2010 11:51

kimon;76813 wrote:

Of course (as expected) the next, inevitable, step is to discuss supporters :D

A Hippogriff and a Thestral.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

02 June 2010 14:17

And then to discuss the Arms of Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger ... The Weasley Arms which of cause will be joined to the Potter Arms as Harry ends up marrying Ron’s sister Ginny. As Ron and Hermione marry there will be a union of the Weasley and Granger Arms also.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

02 June 2010 17:27

Marcus K;76816 wrote:

And then to discuss the Arms of Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger ... The Weasley Arms which of cause will be joined to the Potter Arms as Harry ends up marrying Ron’s sister Ginny. As Ron and Hermione marry there will be a union of the Weasley and Granger Arms also.

No idea for Granger, but the Weasley arms should obviously be [Tincture A] belettée [Tincture B].

Belette being the French word for "weasel."

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

02 June 2010 18:39

Joseph McMillan;76822 wrote:

No idea for Granger, but the Weasley arms should obviously be [Tincture A] belettée [Tincture B].

Yes that’s would bee the obvious choice för the Weasley Arms, the tinctures perhaps Or and Gules as he also is a Gryffindor man. The Weasleys are Red Haired so the Weasels must be Gules. The Crest prehaps a demi Weasel Gules holding something.

I agree the Granger Arms is a bit more puzzeling, but perhaps one could make use of her Patronus an Otter.

Madalch

Madalch
Joined  30-09-2005

02 June 2010 21:52

Joseph McMillan;76822 wrote:

Weasels, in heraldry, are probably best represented by the fur ermine, since that what weasels are in the winter.  Gules, ermined Or?