Nephew’s Crest/Tattoo/Blazon HELP!

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Total Posts:  83
Joined  16-12-2010

01 March 2011 16:13

Dohrman Byers;81562 wrote:

The reference is to the rim, circlet or headband of the coronet, indicating that the crosses and spearheads rise above the circlet (rather than being embossed on the sides of the headband where jewels are often set). Depending on the final blazon, there might or might not be a wreath supporting the coronet.

Okay thank you so this crest would be interrupted like such (see image attachment), less the torse since it not mentioned in the blazon.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

02 March 2011 10:41

Yes. Without the torse, this would fit the blazon.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

02 March 2011 22:54

I’m not overly familiar with the use of coronets, is there any convention for using or not using a torse when the crest has a coronet?

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

03 March 2011 18:27

New question, Coronets are often encrusted with jewels or something when drawn, is it possible to specify the stone as encrusted with Opals?  My nephew, his mother and father were all born in October and it may be appropriate.  Or is that getting a little too specific?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

03 March 2011 18:32

Kathy McClurg;81588 wrote:

New question, Coronets are often encrusted with jewels or something when drawn, is it possible to specify the stone as encrusted with Opals?  My nephew, his mother and father were all born in October and it may be appropriate.  Or is that getting a little too specific?

It’s only too specific if they don’t care. If they want them to be Opals, then they should be specified as such. That said, I would probably not specify and then the coronet could have no jewels, which would be a nice, simple coronet in my opinion.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

05 March 2011 20:11

Way too specific!—IMO anyway, others may differ…

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Joined  16-12-2010

05 March 2011 20:20

For visuals here is the azure coronet with and without opals/pearls. It does add something, in my opinion, and if the blazon stay simple… an azure coronet encrusted with opals… it leaves that artistic freedom on the size and placement of the jewel mentioned.

http://www.custom-gifts-and-arts.com/heraldry/mclurg_lioncrest_coronets.jpg

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

06 March 2011 18:21

After much communication with the nephew and folks, I think we have it - a bit more detailed than I normally like, but he greatly prefers the mouth closed and the Opals (his parents and his birthdays are all in October).  So, last call for comments:

Issuant from a Coronet composed of Latin Crosses and Spearheads alternately raised on points above a rim encrusted with Opals Azure a Lion’s Head mouth closed Proper.

Does that imply the Opals are also azure? or should it be:

Issuant from a Coronet encrusted with Opals composed of Latin Crosses and Spearheads alternately raised on points above a rim Azure a Lion’s Head mouth closed Proper.

Thanks!

Jay Bohn

Jay Bohn
Total Posts:  283
Joined  04-03-2008

06 March 2011 19:35

How about:

Issuant from a Coronet composed of Latin Crosses and Spearheads alternately raised on points above a rim Azure encrusted with Opals a Lion’s Head mouth closed Proper?

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

06 March 2011 22:39

I think Jay’s would be better.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

07 March 2011 09:36

Thanks Jay and Daniel,  that’s it then.  I’ll get it submitted as a change to the USHR and we’ll go from there.  WHew, glad I only had one nephew!

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Joined  16-12-2010

08 March 2011 15:57

Kathy or to whomever might be curious:

If the opals and the rim were to be azure the blazon would be worded differental.  "a rim encrusted with opals azure (make everything blue to this point) a lions head mouth closed proper" BUT "a rim azure (just the rim is now blue) encrusted with opals a lions head mouth closed proper" (making everything after azure to be proper).

Now that Brian has it all confirmed and it is all figured out I can start on his plate smile-

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

10 March 2011 05:19

Here is something new,

I was wondering if there was anything such as a blue opal - apparently there is, so maybe we need to add to Jay’s blazon:

Issuant from a Coronet composed of Latin Crosses and Spearheads alternately raised on points above a rim Azure encrusted with Opals <Argent> a Lion’s Head mouth closed Proper

Or do we leave Opal colors (apparently a variety are available http://www.bernardine.com/birthstone/opal.htm) to the artist?

Additional thoughts/Comments?

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

10 March 2011 10:22

If one really needs to get that specific, I’d just say "proper." Let the artist epresent them as well as he/she can. No decent artist is going to use blue opals on a blue coronet.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

12 March 2011 17:33

Thank you, Father - I actually didn’t think we even needed "proper" because if the specific stone is identified, it’s left it to the artist to properly render the stone.

Is that correct?  Thus we are back to:

Issuant from a Coronet composed of Latin Crosses and Spearheads alternately raised on points above a rim Azure encrusted with Opals a Lion’s Head mouth closed Proper

Thanks again,