Heraldic Symbol for Contentment

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

31 May 2011 23:39

Friends,

Can anyone think of a universal/relatively universal heraldic symbol for "contentment"?  I always find it hard to symbolize abstract terms like feelings.

Andemicael

Andemicael
Total Posts:  257
Joined  02-04-2006

01 June 2011 00:05

to start simply: an azure shield with an Or or Argent Chief. Like looking at a tranquil, still ocean.

Brad Smith

Brad Smith
Total Posts:  182
Joined  12-02-2009

01 June 2011 00:11

I can’t think of anything universal, as tranquility seems to be sort of an individual thing…

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

01 June 2011 00:27

Brad Smith;83798 wrote:

I can’t think of anything universal, as tranquility seems to be sort of an individual thing…

Think "contentment".  IMHO, tranquility is an easier concept.  But the essence of your post is correct:  contentment may vary for each person.  Still is there a (nearly) universal symbol?

Andemicael

Andemicael
Total Posts:  257
Joined  02-04-2006

01 June 2011 00:42

For charges, a cornucopia definitely says contentment. You could also try various medieval harvest implements. An overflowing cup might be an interesting charge, as well, and a very clear message.

For something more abstract, you could go with elements that evoke a feeling of contentment in the viewer, like a crescent moon with stars.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

01 June 2011 02:00

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/85/Smiley.svg/100px-Smiley.svg.png

Seriously, though, contentment is a bit broad of a notion to capture in a universal visual.  Can you give a little context?

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

01 June 2011 04:33

I like!  :rofl:

I want to create arms for my maternal grandfather’s line.  He descended from a few generations of Siamese/Thai nobles.  The title of one of the nobles means "The nobleman who is content with what he has".

A smiley face is cool but perhaps not suitable for arms.  :(  But I think see where you are heading:  to some contentment is happiness.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

01 June 2011 09:01

The smiley face was a joke, but it made me realize that I might unconsciously associate a sun in splendor with a smiley face.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/Sol_de_Mayo-Bandera_de_Uruguay.svg/160px-Sol_de_Mayo-Bandera_de_Uruguay.svg.png

Who could be more content (and noble) than an anthropomorphic sun smiling down on creation?

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

01 June 2011 10:07

Why look for something universal? Is there some Thai symbol of contentment.

That said, "The nobleman content with what he has" made me think of a hand holding a mound of rice. Or what about a hand holding a lotus blossom?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

01 June 2011 11:34

My first thought was a city wall which provides security (embattled ordinary perhaps) which translates to me as contentment. I also like the lotus blossom suggestion as well as the sun in splendor.

If there were a heraldic representation for a mound of carmel covered icecream, then of course that symbol would win out.

Contentment from its latin roots really means something held.. similar to contained.  The idea is that someone who is content, has what they need secured (abstractly or otherwise).

Is the Thai word for contentment translating well here or does it have a very different connotation than the latin shading I’m giving it?  Because if the standard English language word fits, I do think rendering a wall, fence, or perhaps even the cornucopia suggestion (which contains food) would be appropriate.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

01 June 2011 21:46

I think contentment is a very difficult emotion to nail down, since it varies for each of us.  I find contentment in nature, so the maple leaf I show on my own shield would be a good example of that.  On the other hand somebody else mentioned an ocean, and for me that wouldn’t bring me contentment.  It really depends on the individual.

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

01 June 2011 22:49

Friends,

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions.  I agree that contentment varies for each of us and thus a universal symbol is difficult to nail down, but I love your suggestions.