Design for Challis - second cousin’s family

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

27 April 2012 22:04

Well, the Becker coat of arms has given rise to a relative to have one designed for them.  Their family is European, but they don’t have much genealogically.

Name: Denny Frederick Challis

They are fond of Azure and Argent.

With a name like Challis - I’m thinking a Chalice of some sort - although the internet says the name also may come from the French for ladder.

They would like to incorporate fish - Perch, but not picky of specific species.

In the crest possibly a Jack Russel Terrior.

Motto: By Skill Not Force.

I am thinking maybe something like:

Shield:  Azure between two perch reguardant embowed a pale argent charged with a chalice azure?

Crest:  On a wreath of the colors a Jack Russel Terrier <white spotted brown - tell me how THAT isn’t proper?> sejant holding in his mouth a perch argent. (Not sure I like the argent fish in crest..  Maybe the dog should be fishing LOL…)

OK folks - thoughts?  :confused:

Of course, I might be able to suggest Azure and Or… which I think might be better… Or between two perch reguardant embowed a pale Azure charged with a chalice Or…?

cachambers007

cachambers007
Total Posts:  164
Joined  04-06-2011

27 April 2012 22:58

It is interesting to see someone else with the motto “By Skill Not Force”. Are they going with the latin "Arte Non Vi”?

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

28 April 2012 05:30

I think they are sticking with English.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

28 April 2012 18:11

OK - it’s time to completely embarass myself with my complete lack of ability and using PPT and some clipart kinda things…

Right now the Challis family likes this - I’m thinking it’s not overly inspired:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1076&stc=1&d=1335650721

I was going kind of this route:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1077&stc=1&d=1335651027

The fish would be gold… the shield incorporating the "challis"

Thoughts?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

28 April 2012 18:41

The top one is more heraldic and in my opinion better.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

28 April 2012 19:21

Kathy, I’ve found the marriage of an Elizabeth Challis to an Alexander Reynoldson in 1635 in Roxwell England. I’ve also found a memorial stone to the first settlers (1654) of Amesbury, Massachusetts which includes the name of a Philip Challis born 1617 in Salisbury, Essex, (England) died April 22, 1691, Amesbury, Essex, (USA).

I’m not suggesting that these references bear any relation to your Challis family, however the marriage and memorial do suggest the family name, while not common, is well established in the UK and USA.

The General Armory of England Scotland and Wales gives the Challis arms as; Vert between two bars engrailed Argent three bezants. And for Challis as Lord Mayor of London; Azure a bend between four mullets Argent a chief checky of the first and last.

Finally, what about Azure three fishes Or, and move the chalice to the crest. (I suspect however that might already be taken *sigh*).

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

28 April 2012 20:39

Joseph McMillan;93166 wrote:

The top one is more heraldic and in my opinion better.

Thanks, Joe - please remember it’s just grabbed clipart.. I’ll have an artist do it properly… appropriate tincture rules and all when we have a design.  The family likes the top on better as well.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

28 April 2012 20:47

Richard G.;93167 wrote:

Kathy, I’ve found the marriage of an Elizabeth Challis to an Alexander Reynoldson in 1635 in Roxwell England. I’ve also found a memorial stone to the first settlers (1654) of Amesbury, Massachusetts which includes the name of a Philip Challis born 1617 in Salisbury, Essex, (England) died April 22, 1691, Amesbury, Essex, (USA).

I’m not suggesting that these references bear any relation to your Challis family, however the marriage and memorial do suggest the family name, while not common, is well established in the UK and USA.

The General Armory of England Scotland and Wales gives the Challis arms as; Vert between two bars engrailed Argent three bezants. And for Challis as Lord Mayor of London; Azure a bend between four mullets Argent a chief checky of the first and last.

Finally, what about Azure three fishes Or, and move the chalice to the crest. (I suspect however that might already be taken *sigh*).

Thanks for looking, Richard.  I shall provide them the information.  Being the chalice kind of represents a mediocre cant.. I got them to move the dog to the crest… (thank goodness)....

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

28 April 2012 20:54

Found a few close to what you suggest Richard (quick google search):

413. William de Dernepord. Azure three fishes hauriant or

PROUDE, Kent. Vert, three fishes hauriant or, spotted gules

3d. Azure, three fish naiant argent, " Roche.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Joined  26-07-2011

29 April 2012 04:43

Kathy McClurg;93169 wrote:

Thanks for looking, Richard.  I shall provide them the information.  Being the chalice kind of represents a mediocre cant.. I got them to move the dog to the crest… (thank goodness)....

If the family are interested, and you can provide me (by PM) with some dates, I’ll have a look. There may already have been research carried out. Although I suspect this could be a name with endless spelling variants, it’s still worth a try.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Joined  26-07-2011

29 April 2012 04:49

Kathy McClurg;93170 wrote:

Found a few close to what you suggest Richard (quick google search):

413. William de Dernepord. Azure three fishes hauriant or

PROUDE, Kent. Vert, three fishes hauriant or, spotted gules

3d. Azure, three fish naiant argent, " Roche.

Hmmm - Azure semé of fishtails Or? (Ok - I can see you’re reaching for the duct tape - I’ll stop.) :whistle:

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

29 April 2012 05:05

Here’s an idea: Azure, rising from a chalice a demi perch Or. raspberry

Sorry, that Dr. Demento song stuck in my head, hehehe.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

29 April 2012 13:30

Richard G.;93176 wrote:

If the family are interested, and you can provide me (by PM) with some dates, I’ll have a look. There may already have been research carried out. Although I suspect this could be a name with endless spelling variants, it’s still worth a try.

Thanks, Richard - I’ll pass that along!

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

29 April 2012 13:33

Semé of fistails?  What color duct tape would you like?

Sorry Jeffrey, I’m not all that familiar with Dr. Demento - write it off to age (maybe).

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

29 April 2012 18:21

Having experienced the 70’s and the 80’s without having heard the fish heads song, means, not fully having experienced the 70’s and the 80’s. Thankfully I am here to assist with this helpful link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCQSitE-nQ4.

Warning; having heard this song, any heraldic fish will unfortunately appear in a much different and possibly unanticipated light. This song cannot be unheard and is the reason why Dr. Demento’s 70’s radio show became (in-)famous.

Richard’s semy of fish tails just makes it worse, hehe. raspberry

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

29 April 2012 18:41

UGH - one of the "buried deep in the consciousness" songs… I recognize it.  Now, I experienced the 70’s and 80’s, but most of the 80’s inebriated…. and a little of the 70’s…  I started early…