Design for Challis - second cousin’s family

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

30 April 2012 06:52

OK - guess we should run back to heraldry a little…

Blazon:  Or on a Pale between two perch hauriant Azure a chalice Or (or of the first)

Now, do the fishies need to be blazoned in such a way to their "bellies" face a specific direction?  I think I have the "default" shown.. but it’s kind of an academic question…. reguardant seems a bit strange because they aern’t really "facing" each other… Or is that a "artistic license" issue?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

30 April 2012 16:04

A reasonably common—and therefore unlikely to be so distinctive as to be "taken"—depiction of fishies is enbowed like this:

)(

—I forget the term in blazonry.  How about a chalice between two fishes [special term for )( ]—pretend that the Y is a chalice:

)Y(

—simple, canting, etc. & hopefully unique.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

30 April 2012 21:36

I like Michael’s idea… elegantly simple.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

01 May 2012 19:25

I liked it, too - but… not a favorite of the armiger… <sigh>

So, here’s what we’ve come up with in my horrible PPT style..

Of course the fish will be colored properly - for some reason I can’t get it done on PPT from a clipart..

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1078&stc=1&d=1335912695

So, blazon help?:

Per bend Azure and Or between a fish embowed and a chalice a bend engrailed couterchanged.

Doing a run through my information - I haven’t found one like it, but granted my resources are limited…

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

01 May 2012 22:40

I believe with the latest emblazonment (which serves well enough to get the point accross), that the design would be better if both the chalice and the fish were orientated "bendwise."

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

01 May 2012 22:56

I should add, I don’t think the shape of a perch lends itself well to being portrayed as being embowed. Your initial ideas seemed better to me than this latest.

On a separate but "possibly" related note, if the client doesn’t want to be heraldically sensible and follow your initial suggestions he is shooting himself int he foot in my opinion. He should be willing to compromise and follow your lead, especially if he has no previous experience with heraldry or a critical eye for it. In this case, he doesn’t likely even know what he doesn’t know and it would be your duty to hold nothing back when something looks bad (not saying you don’t already do this Kathy, lol).

So basically, allowing the uninitiated client to direct the design without willingness to be led first by the heraldist is like letting a patient with no medical training tell the doctor the best way to set his broken leg and then proceeding to administer the patient care and claiming it as your own. I would think that as a heraldist you wouldn’t want to be responsible for a bad design regardless of the preferences of the client in the same way a doctor would not want to be responsible for administering a patient’s self directed witch doctor healing chant.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

02 May 2012 05:27

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;93227 wrote:

I should add, I don’t think the shape of a perch lends itself well to being portrayed as being embowed. Your initial ideas seemed better to me than this latest.

On a separate but "possibly" related note, if the client doesn’t want to be heraldically sensible and follow your initial suggestions he is shooting himself int he foot in my opinion. He should be willing to compromise and follow your lead, especially if he has no previous experience with heraldry or a critical eye for it. In this case, he doesn’t likely even know what he doesn’t know and it would be your duty to hold nothing back when something looks bad (not saying you don’t already do this Kathy, lol).

So basically, allowing the uninitiated client to direct the design without willingness to be led first by the heraldist is like letting a patient with no medical training tell the doctor the best way to set his broken leg and then proceeding to administer the patient care and claiming it as your own. I would think that as a heraldist you wouldn’t want to be responsible for a bad design regardless of the preferences of the client in the same way a doctor would not want to be responsible for administering a patient’s self directed witch doctor healing chant.

The client liked the first two - it was suggested here that there was a good possibility it was probably already in use (which I couldn’t find a case - but there are many more resources and much more experience here).

Although the client wasn’t thrilled with Michael’s suggestion,  I did run more than what you’ve seen past them.  You must remember - I’m not showing all options here… I have already been successfull in getting a metal and a color and down to two charges… which… you folks haven’t seen this from start to finish, but only when I think we are "closer" to having a resolution.  Ultimately the client does have to "like" the design and it needs to be heraldically correct and not already in use (checking this should bedone with due dilligence, but due to the lack of really decent international databases - cannot be exhaustive - hence "spreading" the design thought around a bit to see if others "catch" something I missed).  I wouldn’t say this is a "bad" design - it follows most conventions, isn’t "logo-esque," or "clip-artsy" (although the emblazon is limited to clip-art)...

I don’t agree that the chalice would look better in bend - there’s somethig about tipped cups that implies spillage - the embowed perch.. I can see the point…

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

02 May 2012 05:42

Michael’s idea… I did try the fish haurient - but I can’t get the clipart I have on that to change to gold/yellow…

Remembering that a decent artist can shape the chalice and fish to be more complimentary to each other…

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1079&stc=1&d=1335951662

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

02 May 2012 05:47

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

02 May 2012 05:54

How about: Azure, a perch embowed fesswise between three chalices two and one Or

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

02 May 2012 06:17
James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

02 May 2012 08:45

What about a chalice charged with a fret of fish, similar to that on the "bough pot" in the arms of Old Aberdeen as quartered by the university.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/Aberdeen_university_logo.gif

James

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

02 May 2012 10:57

A good suggestion worth persuing James. :D

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

02 May 2012 11:51

Kathy McClurg;93232 wrote:

Michael’s idea… I did try the fish haurient - but I can’t get the clipart I have on that to change to gold/yellow…

Remembering that a decent artist can shape the chalice and fish to be more complimentary to each other…

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1079&stc=1&d=1335951662

What about keeping the same idea but getting rid of the actual chalice and putting a pall in its place?  The Y shape of the pall could be a slight cant to the chalice idea.  It would actually look very similar to what Michael had originally typed out - )Y(

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

02 May 2012 11:52

James Dempster;93237 wrote:

What about a chalice charged with a fret of fish, similar to that on the "bough pot" in the arms of Old Aberdeen as quartered by the university.

James

That’s an interesting idea.  It wouldn’t hurt to try charging the chalice with at least one fish.