Sede Vacante?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

15 February 2013 13:20

hollywood1765;97584 wrote:

"Both an Archbishop and a Bishop would be greeted as "Your Excellency" or "Your Grace" (very British). For example, one would greet Bishop Loverde as "Your Excellency." In writing to him you would address the letter, "The Most Reverend Paul S. Loverde, Bishop of Arlington," with the salutation, "Your Excellency."

from article http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0077.html

Could those (presumably mainly non-Catholics) who would find themselves choking on addressing an American citizen as "your excellency" get away with the salutation "Most reverend sir"?

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

15 February 2013 15:09

They could. But, they’d be incorrect (at least when writing to him). Not too many American bishops expect to be called "Your Excellency" in conversation even though that practice is perfectly correct. However, in writing "Your Excellency" is the correct salutation and the person doing the writing should just get over it.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

15 February 2013 18:50

hollywood1765;97584 wrote:

"Both an Archbishop and a Bishop would be greeted as "Your Excellency" or "Your Grace" (very British).  For example, one would greet Bishop Loverde as "Your Excellency."  In writing to him you would address the letter, "The Most Reverend Paul S. Loverde, Bishop of Arlington," with the salutation, "Your Excellency."

from article http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0077.html

A little correction if I may Michael. The major difference between U.S. practise and that in several other English-speaking countries is the form of address for archbishops and bishops. In Britain and countries whose Catholic usage it directly influenced: an archbishop is "the Most Reverend" and addressed as "Your Grace" rather than "His/Your Excellency". A bishop is "the Right Reverend", and is formally addressed as "My Lord" rather than "Your Excellency". This style is an ancient one, and has been used in the western church for more than a thousand years; it corresponds to, but does not derive from, the Italian Monsignore and the French Monseigneur. However, most bishops prefer to be addressed simply as "Bishop <name>".

In Ireland and in countries whose Catholic usage it influenced (for instance, Australia and New Zealand) all bishops, not archbishops alone, are titled "The Most Reverend".

They are often referred to with the title "Doctor", or have D.D. (Doctor of Divinity) placed after their name, in recognition of their official position as teachers of the faith.

hollywood1765

hollywood1765
Total Posts:  163
Joined  29-06-2012

16 February 2013 19:04

Richard G.;97594 wrote:

A little correction if I may Michael. The major difference between U.S. practise and that in several other English-speaking countries is the form of address for archbishops and bishops. In Britain and countries whose Catholic usage it directly influenced: an archbishop is "the Most Reverend" and addressed as "Your Grace" rather than "His/Your Excellency". A bishop is "the Right Reverend", and is formally addressed as "My Lord" rather than "Your Excellency". This style is an ancient one, and has been used in the western church for more than a thousand years; it corresponds to, but does not derive from, the Italian Monsignore and the French Monseigneur. However, most bishops prefer to be addressed simply as "Bishop <name>".

In Ireland and in countries whose Catholic usage it influenced (for instance, Australia and New Zealand) all bishops, not archbishops alone, are titled "The Most Reverend".

They are often referred to with the title "Doctor", or have D.D. (Doctor of Divinity) placed after their name, in recognition of their official position as teachers of the faith.

No, Please do!!!!! I posted the article just to check its accuracy and get feedback

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

16 February 2013 23:43

Whatever the formal (and foreign to non-RC’s) terminology, I suspect—at least I would sincerely hope!—that neither Abp Broglio or anyone in his staff would be so ungracious (not to say unwise) as to "correct" civil government officials who used a quite respectful, if technically incorrect, form of address.  If something as scripturally important as the Sabbath was designed to serve man, not vice-versa (paraphrasing Jesus’ response to a rebuke from the Pharisees) the church’s manual of forms and titles should surely fall under the same governing principal.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

22 February 2013 18:25

It was announced today from the Pontifical Council for the Interpretation of Legislative Texts that the decision has been made about how Pope Benedict XVI will be addressed after his abdication takes effect. When the Holy See become vacant on February 28 he will continue to be addressed by his papal name: His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI. Upon the election of his successor he will furthermore be known as the "Bishop Emeritus of Rome". So that settles the matter of address. It also suggests that he will continue to dress as he has been doing as pope and the implication is that he will continue to use the same coat of arms.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

23 February 2013 00:44

This report omits the title "pope" stating that he will be "His Holiness Benedict XVI, Bishop Emeritus of Rome." Do you know if that was accidental or intentional? Do you know what Card. Coccopalmerio said originally?

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

23 February 2013 13:26

I don’t know if it was intentional. I would guess that since it was left out it was, in fact, intentional. Perhaps they feel it’s better if only the incumbent Bishop of Rome is addressed by the traditional title of "pope"? Keep in mind, too, that while popes are called "pope" that title is never used in official communications from the Holy See where he is referred to as The Supreme Pontiff, The Sovereign Pontiff, The Roman Pontiff or, less formally, The Holy Father. So, maybe they felt it wasn’t worth going into since the Holy See never uses the word "pope" when referring to the pope.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

23 February 2013 14:29

After a little bit more research, namely googling "Sua Santità Benedetto XVI" and "Sua Santità Papa Benedetto XVI", it appears the former is the more common, though some Italian sites had the latter. From this I would conclude that Rome Reports was simply directly translating the Italian that the cardinal used, namely, Sua Santità Benedetto XVI.

In English the opposite seems to be true (again, based on googling) where most sites insert "pope" into the phrase. The only ones that consistently do not are the English pages of the Holy See.

It seems, therefore, that it is completely proper to continue insert "pope" when rendered in English as this is the more common way to do it in English, just as omitting "papa" is the more common way to render it in Italian.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

24 February 2013 07:21

Do conclaves have an official language in which their business is conducted?  Maybe Italian or Latin?

gselvester;97670 wrote:

When the Holy See become vacant on February 28 he will continue to be addressed by his papal name: His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI. Upon the election of his successor he will furthermore be known as the "Bishop Emeritus of Rome".

I know that my opinion matters a little less than zero here, but I think that it’s a little unnecessarily confusing to have two men using papal names and two men with the style of His Holiness at the same time.  I think that it would have been wiser to emphasize that fact that there is but one Pope by allowing Benedict to revert back to his baptismal name and to his previous ecclesiastical style – immediately as His Excellency (as an Archbishop emeritus), then as His Eminence if we were to rejoin the College of Cardinals.  Again, only my 2¢-worth.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

24 February 2013 10:00

Conclaves are conducted in Latin.

I don’t think that there will be too much of a problem because Benedict XVI pretty much plans to fall off the face of the Earth. In addition, I think he will actually pass away sooner than he is letting on and the point will be moot.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

26 February 2013 09:04

According to the Vatican Information Service (VIS) today: Benedict XVI will be &#8220;Pontiff emeritus&#8221; or &#8220;Pope emeritus&#8221;, as Fr. Federico Lombardi, S.J., director of the Holy See Press Office, reported in a press conference on th final days of the current pontificate. He will keep the name of &#8220;His Holiness, Benedict XVI&#8221; and will dress in a simple white cassock without the mozzetta (elbow-length cape). Fr. Lombardi also explained that Bendict XVI will no longer use the &#8220;Fisherman’s Ring&#8221;, which will be destroyed along with the lead seal of the pontificate. This task falls to the cardinal camerlengo and his assistants. Likewise, the Press Office director announced that the Pope will no longer wear the red papal shoes.

As I had said on February 23rd…

gselvester;97670 wrote:

It also suggests that he will continue to dress as he has been doing as pope and the implication is that he will continue to use the same coat of arms.

hollywood1765

hollywood1765
Joined  29-06-2012

26 February 2013 14:27

I agree with you I think he’s Ill

hollywood1765

hollywood1765
Joined  29-06-2012

26 February 2013 14:28

gselvester;97679 wrote:

Conclaves are conducted in Latin.

I don’t think that there will be too much of a problem because Benedict XVI pretty much plans to fall off the face of the Earth. In addition, I think he will actually pass away sooner than he is letting on and the point will be moot.

I agree with you I think he’s ailing more than he let’s on

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

26 February 2013 21:22

I’m waiting to see about Benedict XVI’s coat of arms. It would seem appropriate that he no longer display the crossed keys, since he will no longer wield the power they represent.