Heraldry from my wedding

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

02 June 2013 00:36

Part of the theme for my wedding was incorporating heraldry into the invites and the programs. I created arms for all of the wedding party, the officiant, and subsequent family lineages. Many of these I received guidance from the group, but others were specifically picked by the bearer—good or bad. Additionally, I went with aesthetics over formality in regards to the display of the heraldry, so please keep that in mind when reviewing everything…I know how you guys can be wink</a>

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

02 June 2013 09:49

Very cool!  There are some really nice designs in there.  Great job putting it all together.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

02 June 2013 10:12

Snyder;99121 wrote:

Part of the theme for my wedding was incorporating heraldry into the invites and the programs.

I doubt Will and Kate’s wedding had as much. wink

Okay, since you’ve called us out, I’ll offer this criticism. The bear in the arms on your wife’s standard (in the program) should be facing the hoist.

There. I’ve met our obligation.

hollywood1765

hollywood1765
Total Posts:  163
Joined  29-06-2012

02 June 2013 13:16

I especially like the invitation

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

02 June 2013 19:56

Very well done, Snyder!

Not many of the designs are too over the top - you managed to control the bearer’s enthusiasm.

Perhaps you might consider posting an emblazon and/or blazon plus symbolism as later additions to this thread.

I am particularly interested in the arms of Miss Fox. What is the charge?

All the best for a happy and prosperous future!

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

02 June 2013 20:54

I will post up the individual arms in the near future for closer review.

My goal was to try and provide something that was at least close to a more traditional approach to the designs, but some of them were adamant on having things a certain way. I did my best to provide as much information on heraldic traditions, the rules, and just general good taste, but only a handful of the individuals made an effort in helping design the arms or really even cared.

Fox was one of those people who cared enough to respect what I was doing, but wasn’t really concerned with the aspects of being proper or traditional. The "M" is her personal brand that she uses for her artwork and wanted to use that for her arms. I’m not sure of how to blazon them, no doubt something along the lines of:

Or, the letter "M", outer stems bowed outward from middle, the arms entwined twice to the crotch Sable.

Not heraldic, but at least she understood why "lucky charms" were bad. The crest is a fox holding a golden paint brush. She adopted the motto of "All the World is my Canvas".

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

02 June 2013 21:21

What a nice way to encourage heraldry!

What is the significance of the circlet with the Latin motto Ludere Magis Melius?

My Latin is very bad and I am having a hard time understanding the import of the motto.

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

02 June 2013 22:37

My friends and I are apart of a small local electronic music promotion company called In the Groove. A long story short, we call ourselves the Groovers and used to joke around that we were just short of being a cult and we were just missing some kool air and bubble wrap suits. Over time it changes into being more like Knights templars, then to a secret society, then into an Order. That is how The Order of the Groove was born.

It is just something we do among ourselves as a token of our tenure. The latin is a very…VERY…rough tranlation of an inside joke. Someone once yelled out ‘Play more better’ during a show anx it stuck as our motto. I say its rough because ghe internet was used to translate, but it was decided to leave it as it was because thats the way it has always been for us. The inner workings of how it will all work is up in the air…some want a medal and others a sash, but it will more than likely just be a medal. When i get home i will post pictures of the medal design.

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

03 June 2013 00:05

This is the full medal display. One of the iconic events that we hold is held on a riverboat. We rent out the boat for a night and we cruise up and down the Ohio River for a few hours. The graphic of the man praying in the boat is temporary, but is a direct representation of how we end up praying that people show up and that nothing happens. More than likely the man in the boat will end up being changed, but the rest will stay the same.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b146/Snydercrew/ootg.jpg

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

03 June 2013 00:58

I realize in reading this thread that I neglected to say in my earlier post that I think this is a wonderfully creative way of expressing your interest in heraldry and introducing it to folks who may not be familiar with it.

As to your group’s badge, I like the little man in the boat. The only thing I’d change is….

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1200&d=1370235335

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

03 June 2013 01:08

Kenneth Mansfield;99133 wrote:

I realize in reading this thread that I neglected to say in my earlier post that I think this is a wonderfully creative way of expressing your interest in heraldry and introducing it to folks who may not be familiar with it.

As to your group’s badge, I like the little man in the boat. The only thing I’d change is….

]

The change is open ended, I hope that means its just changing the size of the imagery or is it changing the whole thing wink

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

03 June 2013 10:42

Snyder;99134 wrote:

The change is open ended, I hope that means its just changing the size of the imagery or is it changing the whole thing wink

I changed the "star" so that the cardinal and ordinal directions were in front of the sub-ordinal directions. For some reason, having them behind really bothers me. But I admit I’m weird.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

06 June 2013 03:52

Ken wrote, "I doubt Will and Kate’s wedding had as much"

Or as creatively nice!

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 June 2013 09:53

Michael F. McCartney;99176 wrote:

Ken wrote, "I doubt Will and Kate’s wedding had as much"

Not as many different coats, anyway.

Quote:

Or as creatively nice!

Matter of taste.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

06 June 2013 18:19

Joe wrote, "a matter of taste"

True.  An elegant souffle is always nice, in moderation; but sometimes 31 flavors can be refreshing.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

07 June 2013 18:41

What/who did you use to print all these up? Did you just give them a pdf file you composed or did they take a more active role in the layout of these pieces?