Possible Arms of President Obama

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

07 July 2013 17:43

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22086031/obama.jpg

I was participating in festivities dubbed "Bath Heritage Days" yesterday which center around the Fourth of July and often go for a few days. Every year, artists and other craft vendors participate in selling their wares at an event called "Art in the Park."

The last couple of times I visited, there was a gentleman who paints coats of arms. Unfortunately he’s in cahoots with the folks behind family-crests.com - a bucket shop based in the UK which boasts of recommendations from libraries and societies all over the world (including the Libarary of Congress).

I got into a brief discussion with the artist. I didn’t want to be antagonistic, so when the topic of my arms came up, I explained how I designed them and how I feel arms are attached to ancestry and not specifically a name. We didn’t debate it, but he did claim unsolicited that his "source" of "family crests" was well versed in the heraldic rules in the UK.

I unfortunately can’t remember all the details of our conversation, or how we got on the subject, but at one point he happened to mention that the POTUS was seeking arms and he had a version shared with him from the owners of family-crests.com. He even mentioned it was a project of Michelle Obama’s specifically, and that she had played a large role in the arms design.

I asked the gentleman if he had a copy of the design and if he’d allow me to take a photo. I confess, he asked me to be discreet with it - but my intention in taking a photo was specifically to share with this discussion board. Not my most honest moment in life, but there it is.

I know nothing else about this design and cannot verify its authenticity. This rendering was on a printed out email sent to the gentleman I was speaking to and from an email address at the family-crests.com domain. There was no valuable information in the email about the design either.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

07 July 2013 18:53

Given the source, I wouldn’t give this one much thought. Before we start trying to critique the design and symbolism, it would be helpful to know if anyone within 20 miles of the White House knew this design existed.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

07 July 2013 20:51

This reminds me of those Gore and Bush coats of arms that showed up during the 2000 campaign. I call BS.

StarScepter

StarScepter
Total Posts:  56
Joined  10-06-2011

08 July 2013 04:28

I guess I’m misinformed… but I thought the Chief Herald of Ireland routinely designed and granted Arms to US Presidents, at least for the last several decades.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

08 July 2013 07:17

StarScepter;99758 wrote:

I guess I’m misinformed… but I thought the Chief Herald of Ireland routinely designed and granted Arms to US Presidents, at least for the last several decades.

Only two, Kennedy and Clinton, both of Irish descent (in Clinton’s case, on his mother’s side).

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

08 July 2013 07:19

Jeremy Keith Hammond;99750 wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22086031/obama.jpg

I was participating in festivities dubbed "Bath Heritage Days" yesterday which center around the Fourth of July and often go for a few days. Every year, artists and other craft vendors participate in selling their wares at an event called "Art in the Park."

The last couple of times I visited, there was a gentleman who paints coats of arms. Unfortunately he’s in cahoots with the folks behind family-crests.com - a bucket shop based in the UK which boasts of recommendations from libraries and societies all over the world (including the Libarary of Congress).

I got into a brief discussion with the artist. I didn’t want to be antagonistic, so when the topic of my arms came up, I explained how I designed them and how I feel arms are attached to ancestry and not specifically a name. We didn’t debate it, but he did claim unsolicited that his "source" of "family crests" was well versed in the heraldic rules in the UK.

I unfortunately can’t remember all the details of our conversation, or how we got on the subject, but at one point he happened to mention that the POTUS was seeking arms and he had a version shared with him from the owners of family-crests.com. He even mentioned it was a project of Michelle Obama’s specifically, and that she had played a large role in the arms design.

I asked the gentleman if he had a copy of the design and if he’d allow me to take a photo. I confess, he asked me to be discreet with it - but my intention in taking a photo was specifically to share with this discussion board. Not my most honest moment in life, but there it is.

I know nothing else about this design and cannot verify its authenticity. This rendering was on a printed out email sent to the gentleman I was speaking to and from an email address at the family-crests.com domain. There was no valuable information in the email about the design either.

No president (or president’s spouse) in his (or her) right mind would adopt or accept the grant of a coat of arms with a crown on it.  Not even a second term president who will never have to explain it to the voters.

Nice shield, though.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

08 July 2013 07:37

Joseph McMillan;99760 wrote:

No president (or president’s spouse) in his (or her) right mind would adopt or accept the grant of a coat of arms with a crown on it.  Not even a second term president who will never have to explain it to the voters.

Nice shield, though.

I had thought this as well. The manner in which I discovered it just peaked my curiosity. And I agree, the shield is a good design.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

08 July 2013 09:56

One thing that differentiates democracies from monarchies is that the arms of the leader are not the arms of the government. I have therefore moved this from Government Heraldry in the United States to Personal Heraldry. smile

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

08 July 2013 09:57

Kenneth Mansfield;99763 wrote:

One thing that differentiates democracies from monarchies is that the arms of the leader are not the arms of the government. I have therefore moved this from Government Heraldry in the United States to Personal Heraldry. wink

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

08 July 2013 10:53

Besides, I thought this would end up being President Obama’s arms.

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/7941/pw3.gif

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

08 July 2013 12:16

It’s not a bad shield.  Since the President’s father was from Kenya and his mother had English ancestry - perhaps Garter and the Kenyan College of Arms should be involved, or at least consulted…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

08 July 2013 12:38

steven harris;99771 wrote:

It’s not a bad shield. Since the President’s father was from Kenya and his mother had English ancestry - perhaps Garter and the Kenyan College of Arms should be involved, or at least consulted…

On what?  You lost me.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

09 July 2013 01:30

Perhaps my reaction was soured by the crowned & barred helmet—oy!!—but I don’t much care for it.  Maybe the shield alone, in the hands of one of the better artists, would merit a more positive reaction.  Especially if there was some genuine symbolism meaningful to the man and his family; if so I’m missing it.

FWIW—hey, it’s late at night—I actually like the version that Father Guy posted.  Not your traditional design, but then he’s not your traditional President, or at least that’s the image he likes to present.  The symbolism from his campaign is obvious, and unique.

As to his mother’s ancestry, IIRC she was at least part Irish (Northern Irish IIRC, though maybe some of each part of the island)

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

09 July 2013 14:18

I agree that the version Fr. Guy put up is more appropriate for this President.

I see it as more campaign logo displayed on a shield, though; not too personal in that respect, or maybe it is….

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

09 July 2013 18:01

Michael F. McCartney;99781 wrote:

As to his mother’s ancestry, IIRC she was at least part Irish (Northern Irish IIRC, though maybe some of each part of the island)

The President’s ancestor, Falmouth Kearney, emigrated from Moneygall, Offaly…

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

10 July 2013 09:45

Jeremy Keith Hammond;99750 wrote:

... I unfortunately can’t remember all the details of our conversation, or how we got on the subject, but at one point he happened to mention that the POTUS was seeking arms and he had a version shared with him from the owners of family-crests.com. He even mentioned it was a project of Michelle Obama’s specifically, and that she had played a large role in the arms design.

When President Obama’s library opens in my neighborhood in a few years, I’ll be sure to run over and ask him about his coat of arms…

Peace,

Dave