St Andrews Congress 2006

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Total Posts:  1914
Joined  22-02-2016

26 August 2006 09:01

Patrick Williams wrote:

Okay…now you’ve got to come to my house and clean the coffee out of my keyboard. lolol

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=040

It’s spill proof…

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

31 August 2006 13:11

http://www.fifenow.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1022&ArticleID=1719072

Quote:

A RIGHT ROYAL OCCASION!

ST ANDREWS was awash with colour on Monday as around 300 heraldic experts from across the globe gathered to launch a week of lectures on genealogy and heraldry

The event, which brings together around 400 delegates and heralds from 26 countries, including South Africa, Russia, Canada, Spain and Norway, was opened by its patron, HRH Princess Anne, the Princess Royal at a special ceremony in St Andrews University’s Younger Hall.

The ceremony opened with a song of welcome sung in Gaelic by Wilma Kennedy, Broughty Ferry.

Greeting the delegates in English and French, Princess Anne thanked those in attendance for inviting her to become their patron and to be part of what she said was an "international forum".

"Heraldry and genealogy have always been a very important part of our upbringing," she said.

"I grew up surrounded by heraldry, but I also knew that I know far too little about it."

Describing genealogy as "history with a future," Princess Anne said the subject was more important than ever before and carried the link between our past, our present and our future.

The university and the burgh of St Andrews were also presented with specially created heraldic processional banners or ‘gonfannons,’ which were blessed by the Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh, Cardinal Keith O’Brien.

Also in attendance were Liberal Democrat leader and university chancellor, Sir Menzies Campbell, Donald McGregor, chair of St Andrews Community Council and George Reid MSP, presiding officer of the Scottish Parliament.

Following the ceremony, hundreds of spectators turned out to watch a procession led by president of the congress Dr Luc Duerloo as the delegates set off, decked out in richly decorated robes, along North Street to the sound of pipers.

The public also took part in a free family history and heraldry fair on Wednesday and an exhibition "Who Do You Think You Are?" is being held at St Andrews Museum until September 3.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

31 August 2006 16:30

T.R. Griffith wrote:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=040

It’s spill proof…

Spill proof or no, it’s still a mess!

davidappleton

davidappleton
Total Posts:  194
Joined  30-04-2004

06 September 2006 10:52

We have placed the first two installments (of I don’t know how many to come) of our pictures from our trip to Scotland and attendance at the Congress there.  While this pictures are mostly designed for sharing with our family and friends, they may be of some interest to members of the AHS as well.

They are in .pdf format, and we are trying to keep the individual file sizes comparatively small in consideration of family members who have a dial-up connection.

The first two files can be found at:

www.appletonstudios.com/Scotland01.pdf

and

www.appletonstudios.com/Scotland02.pdf

Though not linked from the main page of the website, future installments will be numbered consecutively.

Questions?  Comments?  Please feel free to let me know.

David

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

06 September 2006 11:42

Well done!  I can’t wait to see the next installment of pictures and your notes on any intersting lectures!

davidappleton wrote:

We have placed the first two installments (of I don’t know how many to come) of our pictures from our trip to Scotland and attendance at the Congress there.  While this pictures are mostly designed for sharing with our family and friends, they may be of some interest to members of the AHS as well.

They are in .pdf format, and we are trying to keep the individual file sizes comparatively small in consideration of family members who have a dial-up connection.

The first two files can be found at:

www.appletonstudios.com/Scotland01.pdf

and

www.appletonstudios.com/Scotland02.pdf

Though not linked from the main page of the website, future installments will be numbered consecutively.

Questions?  Comments?  Please feel free to let me know.

David

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

06 September 2006 12:09

Wow! I’m jealous. Beautiful pics, can hardly wait for the next installment!

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Total Posts:  1914
Joined  22-02-2016

06 September 2006 13:56

Amazing!  I can’t wait to see the rest.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

06 September 2006 15:44

Loved it. I also can’t wait for the next series. I also have to say I rather like the personal touch! Very good work all around. Thanks. smile

davidappleton

davidappleton
Joined  30-04-2004

07 September 2006 12:03

Glad you all like them!  To be fair, my wife is the one who does most of the work on putting them together, selecting from both her photographs and mine.  (Which should show up well in the next installment—she was taking pictures from one end of the line of the heralds photo op at the civic reception, and I was snapping away at the other end.)

We should have part three uploaded by this weekend sometime, if not a little sooner.

Thank you all for your kind words.  We had great time, and it’s nice to be able to share with fellow enthusiasts.

David

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

07 September 2006 12:28

David,

I wish to add my voice in praise of the photographic coverage.  But where were the first series of photographs snapped?  Certainly NOT Scotland—I didn’t see any rain, overcast, wind, rain, overcast, and rain.

Are you sure it was Scotland?

:D

—Guy

davidappleton

davidappleton
Joined  30-04-2004

07 September 2006 14:02

Guy Power wrote:

I wish to add my voice in praise of the photographic coverage.  But where were the first series of photographs snapped?  Certainly NOT Scotland—I didn’t see any rain, overcast, wind, rain, overcast, and rain.

Indeed, the weather was pretty phenomenal the entire time we were there!  I can only recall being rained on twice, and neither time did it last more than about ten minutes.  Clouds, yes.  Wind, yes.  But what rain there was was neither long-lasting nor oppressive.  What they say about Texas seemed to be true for Scotland:  Don’t like the weather?  Wait ten minutes—it’ll change.

David

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

07 September 2006 19:01

The official Congress web site has been updated to include many new pictures of the proceedings. The main page for the Congress can be found at:

http://www.congress2006.com/Home.html

There are lots of images of banners, tabards, and artistic renderings. It is a nice broad representation of how heraldry can be applied to lots of different areas.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

08 September 2006 08:58

When will the next congress be held? After the website and David Appletoon’s pics, I wanna be there!

Hardouin

Hardouin
Total Posts:  58
Joined  16-09-2005

08 September 2006 09:06

Patrick Williams wrote:

When will the next congress be held? After the website and David Appletoon’s pics, I wanna be there!

2008, Québec City. http://www.sgq.qc.ca/congres_2008/home_anglais.htm

J Duncan of Sketraw

J Duncan of Sketraw
Total Posts:  271
Joined  15-01-2006

08 September 2006 11:13

Guy Power wrote:

David,

I wish to add my voice in praise of the photographic coverage. But where were the first series of photographs snapped? Certainly NOT Scotland—I didn’t see any rain, overcast, wind, rain, overcast, and rain.

:-D :boohoo: