coat of arms supporter

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Total Posts:  1914
Joined  22-02-2016

11 January 2007 14:25

im trying to design a coat of arms for myself, and i have scanned the internet high and low looking for some images of the animal supporters to choose from. however i have had little success at this. is there anyone here willing to show me a collection of designs?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

11 January 2007 14:28

what do you mean exactly? animals as in charges on the field of the arms, or, its crest on top? or as actual supporters of the shield?

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

11 January 2007 14:46

Before this debate rages on in another thread, please see the arguments here:

http://www.heraldrysociety.us/forums/showthread.php?t=2379

I’m from the camp that if you’re not Noble, descended from those of noble birth or have by grant been authorized to use supporters, you shouldn’t use them.  That being said, there are numerous animals that can be used, most commonly the Lion, Unicorn and Horse.  Again, if you’re not entitled to supporters, you shouldn’t really use them as they’re generally a mark of nobility.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

11 January 2007 14:58

i may be wrong, but i’m guessing that he is curious about the position of the animal more so than the application as a supporter in the proper sense we understand it. but, that’s why i wanted to ask him what he means exactly.

if you mean as a supporter absolutely refer to the hyperlink that Andrew provided. if you mean that you like how they look when they look like their standing and holding something then you are referring to the position of the beast and that is rampant.

as to the various charges themselves, there is a free heraldry clip art webpage and i’d suggest visiting there to get a basic idea of how it is supposed to look in the field of your arms or as your crest. here’s the URL: www.heraldicclipart.com

i hope this all helps.

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Joined  22-02-2016

11 January 2007 15:24

i suppose a rampant then, but i basically would like to be able to browse through a bunch of images so the links you both put up should work fine, thank you.

i didnt know that they werent supposed to be used by anyone other than nobility, but i really like the way they look, so if no one minds…

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Joined  22-02-2016

11 January 2007 15:28

im looking for a nice looking ram or a double headed eagle. maybe a griffen or a lion even, not really quite sure yet.

J Duncan of Sketraw

J Duncan of Sketraw
Total Posts:  271
Joined  15-01-2006

11 January 2007 17:19

Andrew J Vidal wrote:

Before this debate rages on in another thread, please see the arguments here:

http://www.heraldrysociety.us/forums/showthread.php?t=2379

I’m from the camp that if you’re not Noble, descended from those of noble birth or have by grant been authorized to use supporters, you shouldn’t use them. That being said, there are numerous animals that can be used, most commonly the Lion, Unicorn and Horse. Again, if you’re not entitled to supporters, you shouldn’t really use them as they’re generally a mark of nobility.

As Andrew said, please have a read at the link above first.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

11 January 2007 17:41

J Duncan of Sketraw wrote:

As Andrew said, please have a read at the link above first.

Also please ask questions if you do not understand why most (but not all) are opposed to the Use of supporters in the US