Arms of the West?

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

17 February 2008 21:56

Hello all,

I was just thinking about the new arms for Kosovo’s pro-independence parliament (I’ve unloaded my language because that’s not what I’m asking about).

For one reason or another, this led me to think about attributed arms and I began googling up attributed arms of various people.

Long story short, I began to wonder if anyone has ever heard of arms being attributed to all of Western civilization?

I am familiar with the arms of the Holy Trinity, possibly this could have been applied to all of Christiandom…

Any thoughts?

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

17 February 2008 22:21

I’d doubt it, the concept of ‘Western’ civilization seems pretty recent to me…..anyone with more knowledge in sociology, etc please feel free to correct me!

Cheers,

George Lucki

George Lucki
Total Posts:  644
Joined  21-11-2004

17 February 2008 23:07

The arms of the West (as opposed to the East) in a European sense from the earliest times of heraldry would surely be the arms of the Holy See and the arms of the Holy Roman Empire.

The notion of the West has a history in Europe since the division fo the Roman Empire. Later the West was all of Roman Christendom - Rome as well as the protestant churches that split with Rome.

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Joined  23-02-2005

17 February 2008 23:40

George Lucki;54395 wrote:

The arms of the West (as opposed to the East) in a European sense from the earliest times of heraldry would surely be the arms of the Holy See and the arms of the Holy Roman Empire.

It would be fun to speculate on this…

I for one, would not think that the arms of the Holy See would be appropriate, and not just as a statement of ‘secularism’, but because so much of what I consider to be western civilization is protestant.

Anyhoo, fun to speculate!

Here’s an interesting quote for our Egyptian friends to chew on…

"The theologian and paleontologist Pierre Teilhard de Chardin conceived of the West as the set of civilizations decended from the Nile Valley Civilization of Egypt"

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

17 February 2008 23:51

So that’d make me a Grand-Westerner or what? :p

Cheers,

George Lucki

George Lucki
Total Posts:  644
Joined  21-11-2004

18 February 2008 01:03

Mark Olivo;54396 wrote:

It would be fun to speculate on this…

I for one, would not think that the arms of the Holy See would be appropriate, and not just as a statement of ‘secularism’, but because so much of what I consider to be western civilization is protestant.

Anyhoo, fun to speculate!

We aren’t necessarily in disagreement - which is why I gave my response an earlier timeframe. Of course later times brought profound splits and of course the more modern notions are sometimes particular. Finally no view of West can be simply secular - as that would be a denial of the real roots.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

18 February 2008 08:43

I am ‘voting’ for the arms of the Holy Roman Empire, as the role of the Emperor in his capacity of primus inter pares inferioresque was presumed to be universal. As to the Holy See’s arms, they were probably cristallised in their actual form after the effective failure of the concept of the Holy See’s absolute temporal superiority.

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Joined  23-02-2005

18 February 2008 19:12

Michael Y. Medvedev;54409 wrote:

I am ‘voting’ for the arms of the Holy Roman Empire, as the role of the Emperor in his capacity of primus inter pares inferioresque was presumed to be universal.

Well since we’re voting now… wink

I think the HRE double-headed eagle has a place, (being the attributed arms of Julius Caesar as I recall) but perhaps as a lone supporter.

I’ve always been fond of the EU flag and it reminds me of Gen. Washington’s C-in-C flag, so perhaps a simple shield of azure with a circular constellation with a certain number of mullets argent representing something-or-other, and I would vote in favor of a cross on the shield in some capacity.

Just a thought…

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

18 February 2008 23:17

Before voting for any arms for The West, I’d have to meditate on Gandhi’s remark. When asked what he thought of Western civilization, the Mahatma replied, "Western civilization would be a very good idea."