Easter Blazon Challenge

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

21 March 2008 02:04

With apologies for those of our members who are ministers of religion, for whom this is a busy weekend, I thought that a little light-hearted challenge might help pass the time this Easter. To add to the competitive element I’ve also posted this on the HSS forum.

The challenge is to blazon your own or, if not armigerous, a well known coat of arms using the "virtues" beloved of Tudor heraldic authors rather than the conventional tinctures.

The idea is to be creative so I will allow some variance from the normal rules of blazon, but it should be clear enough to be emblazoned.

For those unsure, this is Sir John Ferne’s list from "The Glorie of Generositie" (1586), or more helpfully, The Oxford Guide to Heraldry p54.

Or = Faith

Argent = Innocency

Azure = Loyalty

Gules = Magnanimity

Sable = Prudence

Vert = Love

Purpure = Temperance

Here are my own arms

Upon a background of magnanimity a sword of innocence in bend hilted and pommelled by faith. Over all on a fess of faith a magnanimous lion passant armed and langued with loyalty

James

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

21 March 2008 20:29

Innocence, bordered by Loyalty, a shield of Loyalty charged with a cross of Innocence.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

21 March 2008 21:40

I don’t have this book unfortunately, so I’m wondering is this just a tincture substitution, or are there other alterations as well?

Upon a shield parted per pale and per chevron of Love and Loyalty are placed three salmon of Innocence, two in dexter chief and one in base, and a broad-axe of Innocence in sinister chief

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

21 March 2008 22:55

Shield:  Upon a field of Loyalty a fess wavy cotised between three celtic crosses formee alisee and a castle of two towers, all of which is quite Innocent.

Crest:  A demi-priest vested in all Innocence with a Loyal chasuble bearing a Luther Rose proper.

Sorry, don’t have time this week to really do it up.  wink

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

23 March 2008 00:16

On a field of Love, three piles throughout conjoined in chief—Innocent, though they be void of Love—on a chief of Magnanimity an Innocent Celtic cross between two mullets of seven points inverted, also Innocent.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

23 March 2008 00:21

Alone in a field of Innocence stands the winged sword of Prudence! :D

(I think I’ve found a new name for my main charge. :cool:)

Take care,

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

23 March 2008 01:02

Upon a field of Love, thirteen Innocent estoiles, on a dovetailed chief of Prudence and fimbriated with Faith, three Faithful garbs bound with Love.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

23 March 2008 02:17

Per pale, Love and Innocency, three crescents one and two, counterchanged…..

So, I’m guessing counterchanged would be hypocrisy or what? :D

Cheers,