Design ~ Badgerow

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

04 April 2011 12:02

Kathy articulated my thoughts here better than I could.  I wanted to say something about being nervous about attributing arms to someone more than one generation deceased.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

04 April 2011 15:48

Getting so many cousins to agree to a design is probably impossible. I considered having a coat of arms attributed to a maternal great-great grandfather. But I knew it would be a stretch getting consent from a certain branch of third cousins (it would be difficult in getting them to agree on the color of the sky). So I ended up registering them to my mother with the knowledge of how they "came to be" locked in my head.

Perhaps one could attribute arms to an ancestor if you’re the oldest son of the oldest son, etc. - a sort of reverse inheritance.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

04 April 2011 20:34

By my thinking, the best way (for me) to go about it would be to form a "family association" of willing participants and leave the others (relatives) to join or not as they choose.

Then, in honor of the ancestor, design arms for the family association (ie. Association of John Doe, Sr. Descendants).  The ancestor in question did not assume arms, thus the ancestor probably had no use for arms.  The descendants however, might have use for arms, thus the association itself assumes arms in the ancestor’s honor.  Individuals within that association could design their own individual arms based on a tradition which observes the family association’s customs or motifs as they decide.

I look at it from the point of view that if my own descendants made as if I actually assumed arms when I didn’t intend to, I might get very peeved from my purgatorial roost unless they specifically made it obvious that the arms were merely a symbol of their own creation and not something which represented me alone.  Attributing arms in memoriam for anyone in my family’s recent ancestors (simple minded folk who farmed in the depression and performed grunt roles in the world wars and following police actions) to me appears like an attempt to ascribe fancy to those who more than likely would have spurned it.

As much as I admired my grandfather and would like to symbolize him with arms, it was not his wish or he would have assumed them in his lifetime.  Perhaps if I’d thought of it while he lived, I might have convinced him (rather unlikely).  I’ve put over a year of thought into this subject, and I hope that my contemplation might help others considering this weigh in with other perspectives.

In short, arms in memoriam pertaining to my family would be arms of (pretentious) presumption by the heirs rather than arms of (dignified) assumption by the ancestor. Perhaps another year or so of thought will change my opinion on this yet again. :snail:

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

04 April 2011 21:30

Ah, but I started the arms project as a way of honoring my father.  WOuld he have assumed arms during his lifetime?  Probably not, but then, I think he would have enjoyed it if I’d honored him (with his approval) when he was alive.

And my mother is really getting a kick out of it.  The respective neices, nephew and my daughter are all warming to the idea as well.  I’ve just had the series done with the McCLurg tartan as a backdrop by Kelly.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

05 April 2011 01:06

Kathy, first off, your work is beautiful. Second, you seem to have everyone on board.  Third, your mom approves and enjoys the idea (and being equal in rights and status to your father perhaps she should have as much right to approve the arms).  This is a recipe for complete success IMHO.

My situation would be far different.

Also, I think going as far back as attributing arms to a distant ancestor is problematic in so many ways; I know that many of my family would scoff at my pretentiousness and some would possibly be angry over it.  There are a few who did think it was a good idea, but, the needs of the few would lose in a cage fight against the needs of the many. raspberry

My opinions about ancestral attribution aside, I do want to say that Mrs. Badgerow’s approach to this seems sensible and thoughtful.  Also, her artistic ability will do it enough justice that she will probably not encounter the same resistance I would.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

06 April 2011 06:20

Jeffrey, the plates are the work of Kelly - and they are great.  She also put the blazons, names, etc. on the back of them so as we pass them down the generations they will be easily identified as to the origin and such.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

06 April 2011 16:13

To each his own, but I strongly disagree with the arguments against attribution.  One of the key purposes (to me, perhaps the paramount purpose) of adopting arms is to signify and promote a sense of common identity among the family.  Of course no individual or branch is obligated to accept my choice of design, but to make different arms among cousins the norm IMO defeats much of the purpose for the arms, beyond a pretty artistic exercise.

That does suggest that I should (assuming I’m preparing to assume) make a reasonable effort to look for something the broader family will like, including some discussion with at least a sampling—but I don’t see a need to consult with every living descendant.  If the design selected is wisely designed, it will allow for & accommodate some degree of modification for far-flung branches; but that shouldn’t mean that the basic underlying design theme should be abandoned by cousins on mere whim.

My eventual choice of a design, if well researched and thought out, is likely to be as good as deceased umpty-great grandpa might have come up with on his own, if he had the interest and knowledge to do it himself.  Of course if he had done that, I wouldn’t need (nor would I be inclined) to be mucking around with it!

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Total Posts:  83
Joined  16-12-2010

13 April 2011 18:16

My creation of the arms for Henry Badgerow has come with great thought and respect. My major delima is I could make these arms in honor of David Badgerow (son of Henry) or any other direct grandfather to my husband I would soon hear the other branches of Henry cry, well what about John or Francis or Henry Jr.  Thus if I create these honorary assumed arms for Henry (that last known ancestor) then cousins could impose the indifference based on the original design.  In is way, as Mike said it, to bring family together and possibly even bring out family we did not even know exsisted.

Actually creating a Henry Badgerow Family Association is not a bad idea. At this time I am the DNA project administrator trying to link this family to another dit named family… but so far it still seems they are aliens landing in Canada SOMEWHERE and moving into New York State sometime around the early 1730s.  Even the DNA is not matching no other family name or lineage… it is strange that is for sure.

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Joined  16-12-2010

13 April 2011 18:19

Kathy McClurg;81939 wrote:

Jeffrey, the plates are the work of Kelly - and they are great.  She also put the blazons, names, etc. on the back of them so as we pass them down the generations they will be easily identified as to the origin and such.

I wanted to mention that I generally do NOT do Coat of Arm plates, since Kathy and her family are the actual owners of these assumed Arms I went ahead and did the request.  I just do not want all you thinking I am a bucket shop or something :|

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

14 April 2011 02:51

I’m positive they would think no such thing.  Many armigers show the work artists have done for them on the forums.

And if anyone did, well - tsk, tsk, tsk - as Grandma would say with that glare only a grandma can effect.

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Joined  16-12-2010

17 April 2011 09:56

TY Kath for the reinsurance smile