Blazon Check

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

05 August 2007 22:53

It would be best if one simply blazoned it as they would have during the Medieval period, rather straight forward as so: Per Pale Gules and Sable, eight ermine spots Argent. This would allow the design some flexibility for use on a banner, a cartouche, a lozenge, a pennon or any other shape. You could of course always have the artist depicted the arms as you like but the blazon should able to transfer to other shapes. A very good design is a versatile design.

By the way, I do like the design, it is a good one.

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

06 August 2007 00:56

Thanks guys.

Is this any better?

Per Pale Gules and Sable, 2 sets of 4 ermine spots in chevron inverted Argent.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

06 August 2007 02:05

Trent;48326 wrote:

It always strikes me as odd when someone asks for advice and then pays it no heed. Why ask a question at all if you intend on not taking the advice? You are at about 100% in asking and then doing as you please, to the detriment of good heraldry in my own opinion.

This is the problem with someone knowing just enough heraldry to produce an achievement for the uninformed but not knowing the true essence of heraldry. Owning a dozen heraldry books and studying them for five years hardly makes one an expert.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

06 August 2007 10:20

Trent;48326 wrote:

Thanks guys.

Is this any better?

No.  Heraldry is not big on "sets" and the blazon allows both sets to be in the same chevron arrangement.

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

06 August 2007 11:36

Mike (or anyone),

Would you provide an example of someone’s arms using the "4 and 4," "5 and 5", etc. type arrangement?

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

06 August 2007 13:04

Trent;48337 wrote:

Mike (or anyone),

Would you provide an example of someone’s arms using the "4 and 4," "5 and 5", etc. type arrangement?

http://cilialacorte.com/moncada.JPG

Gules eight bezants arranged 4 and 4 in pale

http://cilialacorte.com/blazon.html

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

06 August 2007 15:53

The Spanish blazon of the Moncada arms is: En campo de gules, ocho bezantes de oro, colocados en dos pales. Which is most correctly translated to English blazon as: Gules, eight bezants Or, arranged in two pales. One can see from the example below that when marshaling such complicated arms that charges still get moved around a bit, see the Moncada arms in the dexter half of the inescutcheon.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2449/moncadaaitonapicwi0.gif
</div>

Most Spanish arms with large numbers of repetitive charges do not specify an exact placement as in the arms of Salazar, En campo de gules, trece estrellas de oro, or in English blazon, Gules, thirteen estoiles Or. Despite the indefinite placement of the charges in the blazon, they are always depicted as 3,3,3,3,1.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/7526/salazarpicuw3.gif

<div class=“bbcode_left” >
Of course there are Spanish blazons that do fix the placement of every charge as in the arms of Velasquez: En campo de azur, trece bezantes de plata, colocados en cuatro fajas de tres y uno en punta, or in English blazon: Azure, thirteen plates arranged in four bands of three and one in point.
</div>

</div>

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

06 August 2007 16:29

David Pritchard;48353 wrote:

The Spanish blazon of the Moncada arms is: En campo de gules, ocho bezantes de oro, colocados en dos pales. Which is most correctly translated to English blazon as: Gules, eight bezants Or, arranged in two pales.

Following this pattern, the blazon would be:

Per pale Gules and Sable, eight ermine spots Argent arranged in two chevrons inverted.

David Pritchard;48353 wrote:

Azure, thirteen plates arranged in four bands of three and one in point.

Per pale Gules and Sable, eight ermine spots Argent arranged in two chevrons inverted of four and four.

I likethis last one.

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

06 August 2007 22:41

Thanks guys. This is very helpful.  If you find other arms with similar arrangements of charges (in bend, etc.), please post them.  The more I see, the better I understand.

Mike, does "in two chevrons" yield the same thing as two sets of charges "in chevron"?

Does this work?

Per Pale Gules & Sable, 8 ermine spots arranged 4 and 4 in chevron inverted Argent.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

06 August 2007 23:56

Revised post.

Do you think this blazon would work?

Per pale Gules and Sable, eight ermine spots in chevron inverted Argent, four over four.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

07 August 2007 15:50

David Pritchard wrote:

Per pale Gules and Sable, eight ermine spots in chevron inverted Argent, four over four.

David,

I think this blazon is "spot on". After reading it I was able to get a clear mental picture of the shield Trent posted earlier.

Take care,

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

07 August 2007 18:01

David & Phil, that may be the correct one.  It’s just that putting "8 in chevron" before the "4 over 4" part makes me think of one chevron first.

I’ll go with that blazon if no one can come up with anything better.  If you know, of some arms with 2 or more "in chevon" charges/arrangements please post them.

This can’t be the first.  There must be some examples out there.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

07 August 2007 18:30

Trent;48402 wrote:

David & Phil, that may be the correct one.  It’s just that putting "8 in chevron" before the "4 over 4" part makes me think of one chevron first.

I came to the conclusion that two chevrons inverted composed of eight ermine spots or one chevron inverted made of two rows of eight ermine spots ended up being the same thing, after all in your illustration there is not a wide gap between the two chevrons inverted as they appear contiguous. Thinking of them as eight little charges working together to form a design is easier to blazon than four little charges together in a set combining with another set of four little charges to form an overall design. At least this makes sense in my mind maybe Michael could give his opinion on this point.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

07 August 2007 19:12

David Pritchard;48380 wrote:

Revised post.

Do you think this blazon would work?

I like the blazon.  If you are worried about the vertical spread (i.e., the closeness or compression of the charges toward the fess axis/point because of an interpretation that places the charges as if contained in a hypothetical chevron), then you could take it one step further:

Per pale Gules and Sable, eight ermine spots in chevron inverted Argent, four in chief and four in base.

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

14 October 2007 15:14

I need to make sure I have not duplicated this blazon:

"Sable a sun in splendour Or, a base barry wavy of four Argent and Azure."

Can someone check it for me?