Design Critique Requested - David Pope Arms

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

23 April 2013 20:54

Of this newest batch, #2 and #5 are the ones that really jump out at me.  If I had to choose, I would probably pick #2.  But both of them are great designs.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

29 April 2013 00:49

FWIW I second Ken’s preferences among the recent batch; though overall I still prefer your avatar, either singly or thrice repeated.

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

29 April 2013 09:05

Michael F. McCartney;98708 wrote:

FWIW I second Ken’s preferences among the recent batch; though overall I still prefer your avatar, either singly or thrice repeated.

Michael,

Thanks for your input.  I’ve decided to use my avatar as my badge (my badge as my avatar?).  Since it’s a simple design I think that it would work well as a library seal and on letterhead.  Down the road, perhaps a signet ring with the badge, similar to those of David Pritchard or Prince Charles.

David

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

29 April 2013 16:45

Good compromise—the avatar device is too good to just discard.

If you think the time is ripe, rerun the refrigerator test with your top few options—IMO less than half a dozen, better half that, or it’s likely to be TMI for the subconscious to absorb & sort out.  Then put conscious fussing, what if’s, what about etc., on hold for a few weeks—otherwise the fridge test is premature..

David Pope

David Pope
Joined  17-09-2010

24 May 2013 16:58

After giving the various designs some time and consideration, I’ve decided on this version (thanks to Kenneth for the graphic):

“http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=1997[/IMG]<br /

Ultimately, I favored the more obvious MacMillan reference over the fewer tinctures.

I’ve decided to use my current avatar (the heart on the dogwood) as a badge.  Although I don’t have any retainers, I think the badge will be a simple, meaningful, and pleasing graphic to use on letterhead, a library stamp, etc.

At this point I’d like to solicit your suggestions on a crest.

I had previously favored a griffin sejant, primarily because many English grants of Pope arms featured griffins.  Since I’ve steered away from references to these Pope arms, I’m not as sold on the griffin.  On the plus side, it seems a good way to allude to my American and British ancestry (lion for England/Scotland, eagle for America), although that may seem a little trite to some of you.  The griffin was used by Dante as symbol for Christ (two natures, one being), so I find that intriguing, as well.

Generally, I like crests which feature an animal or part of an animal.

Generally, I like crests which feature a charge from the shield.

A few other ideas-

Perhaps some allusion to my service in the USMC…

This is the insignia for the battalion that I served with in Iraq:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/2d_Bn_2d_Mar_Logo.jpg/240px-2d_Bn_2d_Mar_Logo.jpg

This is the distinctive Mameluke sword carried by Marine officers:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/USMC_Marmeluke.JPG” class=“bbcode_img” >

Any suggestions?

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

24 May 2013 17:23

A rough thought, at best, I like the idea of a griffen holding the Mameluke. I feel it fits the best of all interpertations. Perhaps you could have the griffin standing upon a wreath of dogwood blossoms or collared in such. Or additionally, holding a Mameluke and dogwood branch intertwined. Probably to much for most, but just my two cents.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

24 May 2013 18:44

I was just looking through Fairbairn’s and I agree that a griffin holding a Mameluke sword would be nice. I’d make it a demi-griffin, though. With less griffin to fill the space means it is larger and that the sword, then, is necessarily larger and more readily recognized. I wouldn’t add wreaths of anything. Perhaps charge the wing with a dogwood flower. Or a heart. If you wanted to get busy, you could put the Mameluke sword in the dexter claw and a scale in the sinister - sort of a super badass Lady Justice.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

24 May 2013 19:28

And making the griffin gules would balance the heart in base and also serve as an allusion to the USMC.  Make the sword blade Or, thus USMC scarlet and gold.  A dogwood blossom on the wing ties the whole thing to the shield.  And the edged weapon is a faint echo of MacMillan.

David Pope

David Pope
Joined  17-09-2010

24 May 2013 20:36

Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  Here’s a recent COA grant that I found that demonstrates the concept nicely:

http://esah160.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/esah-grant-of-arms-1.html

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=1998

This is definitely one to put on the list.

Despite the fact that it makes the crest smaller, I also find I like the griffin passant, as well, because it shows the lion half.  Here’s a very nice rendition by Andrew Jamieson:

http://www.armorial-register.com/arms-us/arms-images-us/bradlee-jqc-arms.jpg

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

25 May 2013 15:30

I think the demi griffin withthe mameluke and the doogwood flower would look great.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

28 May 2013 18:32

The new arms are quite nice, though (to dig up & beat on a dead horse) you might subject them to an extended refrigerator test just to be sure this version will really be THE final one!

David Pope

David Pope
Joined  17-09-2010

28 May 2013 21:45

Michael F. McCartney;99065 wrote:

The new arms are quite nice, though (to dig up & beat on a dead horse) you might subject them to an extended refrigerator test just to be sure this version will really be THE final one!

Point taken.  smile

David Pope

David Pope
Joined  17-09-2010

29 August 2013 21:24

Here’s the newest concept for a crest.  I played on the Marine nickname "Devil-Dog".  The sword will be a Mameluke sword in a final version, if I go this way.

Thanks to Harold Cannon for providing the emblazonment.

I’d love to get your feedback…

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=d421af1331&view=att&th=140ccc07c14f11ee&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8lL9brgFMcb_VuHZAD5Xnv&sadet=1377825455824&sads=DgNiUq-N3Uwvx-cKSUTe5J-QUgg

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

30 August 2013 04:45

Is there suppose to be a picture?

David Pope

David Pope
Joined  17-09-2010

30 August 2013 13:58

Kathy McClurg;100434 wrote:

Is there suppose to be a picture?

Yes.  Thanks for the heads-up.  The file was on my laptop, and so it showed up when I accessed the site on that computer.  Here’s the image:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=2053