Deciding on a crest!

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

29 May 2011 23:31

If the actual type of helm is not described in the blazon for the crest, I believe it to be the purvue of the artist to render it however he or she likes; tilting helm, captured abyssinian helm, modern kevlar helmet or what have you.

I see no reason to discourage innovation in artistic expression.  I do believe that following the historical precedents of blazoning and arrangement are of value to the integrity of heraldry though.  I’m not sure if this would preclude actual description of non-european helms but I’m thinking it would preclude describing a kevlar helmet in the crest blazon.

Also, I really love the flaming sword as the allusion to the arch angel (only slightly) more than the arms grasping the iron knot.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

07 June 2011 21:43

Mixed feelings (story of my life…)

On the one hand, innovation keeps the art form alive and vibrant.  On the other hand, obviously mis-matched anachronisms strike me as poor design, or at least poorly thought out.

We frequently see advice that a 16th century shield topped by a 13th century helmet and charged with, say, a 19th steam locomotive, isn’t a particularly good choice.  Artistic license should still be artistic.

FWIW I would say that a design that one could picture actually being used in a given time and place is better, or at least less jarring (or silly) than a design that one couldn’t picture in any one time & place.

I can’t imagine anyone actually riding into battle or tournament with a flaming torch on his head…though who knows, there may be historical precedent for it!

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

08 June 2011 00:15

Michael F. McCartney;84389 wrote:

I can’t imagine anyone actually riding into battle or tournament with a flaming torch on his head…though who knows, there may be historical precedent for it!

Only if they have a dragon to hold it aloft, thereby not singeing their mantling or any hair which has gone astray.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

08 June 2011 23:42

I don’t think any crest is practical to wear on your helm.  No matter what it is, it will make the helm top heavy.

Andemicael

Andemicael
Total Posts:  257
Joined  02-04-2006

09 June 2011 01:10

Kathy McClurg;84411 wrote:

Only if they have a dragon to hold it aloft, thereby not singeing their mantling or any hair which has gone astray.

If only the dragon was holding a torch in the british sense, I’d know where I left my keys an hour ago.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

09 June 2011 03:14

Andemicael;84514 wrote:

If only the dragon was holding a torch in the british sense, I’d know where I left my keys an hour ago.

If you’d chosen keys for your crest, perhaps you wouldn’t have misplaced them. :p