Desiging my CoA

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

25 November 2012 20:31

Top left and bottom right.  Bottom right being my favorite.  I think the skulls with torch or what not is, well… I guess I think the charges aren’t as balanced crammed into the base.. Richard’s fascination piece looks like a border which could be mistaken for something other than an original as does the other shield over what appears to be an already quartered shield.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

25 November 2012 20:42

Bottom left shouldn’t be used. Inescutcheon would easily be mistaken for arms of pretense.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

25 November 2012 20:57

Kathy McClurg;96607 wrote:

Top left and bottom right.  Bottom right being my favorite.

Ditto.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

26 November 2012 03:26

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;96608 wrote:

Bottom left shouldn’t be used. Inescutcheon would easily be mistaken for arms of pretense.

Agreed.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

26 November 2012 08:26

Numbering them thusly:

1 2

3 4

5 6

I agree that #5 should be dropped as a potential confusion with marshaling (it looks like your father was ‘bendy argent and or’ – that your mother was ‘sable three skulls argent’ – and that your wife is ‘gules billeté or’).

Likewise, I would discount #4 since the bordure is often used for cadency (this looks like you might be the indeterminate cousin of ‘gules billeté or’’).

#2 and #3 don’t run afoul of any hand-and-fast rule, but I might shy away from the less-than subtle symbolism of the book-and-torch as being a tad cliché.  Also, I personally find the skulls to be a bit too gothic for my taste.

That leaves #1 and #6 – “per fess bendy argent and or, and vert/sable billeté or”.  I think that I might prefer #1 of the two, but I’m partial to green smile

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

26 November 2012 10:51

steven harris;96611 wrote:

That leaves #1 and #6 – “per fess bendy argent and or, and vert/sable billeté or”.  I think that I might prefer #1 of the two, but I’m partial to green  wink

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

26 November 2012 11:05

1 then 6 followed very, very distantly by 2 and 3. 4 is alright I guess. 5 is not up for discussion as far as I’m concerned.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

26 November 2012 13:30

How about #3, but with a single skull in base?  Or a skull between two femur bones palewise?

I like skulls ..... (*  .  *)

.........................|...|

—Guy

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

26 November 2012 13:42

My order would be: 6, 1, 4, 3, 2, 5

Medugal

Medugal
Total Posts:  110
Joined  09-05-2012

26 November 2012 15:55

Regarding #5, that wasn’t really a potential CoA, just me playing around with themes and colors! I’m finding myself really attracted to the combinations in #3 and #5: or, argent, sable, and gules (or sanquine?).

@ Steven: I got your PM, and have to admit that I missed your suggestion in the mix. I’m having a bit of trouble picturing your suggestion, and would love to see a sketch ("Or billeté Vert, on two bends Sable as many femora Argent")!

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

26 November 2012 17:52

Medugal;96616 wrote:

Regarding #5, that wasn’t really a potential CoA, just me playing around with themes and colors! I’m finding myself really attracted to the combinations in #3 and #5: or, argent, sable, and gules (or sanquine?).

@ Steven: I got your PM, and have to admit that I missed your suggestion in the mix. I’m having a bit of trouble picturing your suggestion, and would love to see a sketch ("Or billeté Vert, on two bends Sable as many femora Argent")!

Welp, just imagine the gold field strewn with green rectangles, then pop a couple of black bends over all, and on each of those bends a leg bone of white (or silver).

Basically, I think we should recommend this for Tim Burton’s arms.

steven harris

steven harris
Joined  30-07-2008

26 November 2012 21:17

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;96617 wrote:

Welp, just imagine the gold field strewn with green rectangles, then pop a couple of black bends over all, and on each of those bends a leg bone of white (or silver).

Basically, I think we should recommend this for Tim Burton’s arms.

I thought that the gravedigger theme was too unique to ignore; but I used simple leg bones as a bit less jarring than a skull (and they fit nicely on the bends, which mirror the bendy idea).  Either way, the final decision is Medugal’s.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

26 November 2012 23:00
Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

27 November 2012 03:06

steven harris;96618 wrote:

I thought that the gravedigger theme was too unique to ignore; but I used simple leg bones as a bit less jarring than a skull (and they fit nicely on the bends, which mirror the bendy idea).  Either way, the final decision is Medugal’s.

Not at all saying anything negative about the arms conceived here, I actually like Tim Burton… it’s my way of complimenting them? lol ..and I wanted to help him visualize what you were talking about in simple terms which is always more effective with humor in my experience (though my humor is sometimes tragically off the chart).

steven harris

steven harris
Joined  30-07-2008

27 November 2012 06:53

Medugal;96616 wrote:

I’m having a bit of trouble picturing your suggestion, and would love to see a sketch ("Or billeté Vert, on two bends Sable as many femora Argent")!

Sadly I am not an artist - something that I hope to rectify when the kiddos are a bit older.  Perhaps one of our more-talented friends could sketch it out for you…

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;96620 wrote:

Not at all saying anything negative about the arms conceived here, I actually like Tim Burton… it’s my way of complimenting them? lol ..and I wanted to help him visualize what you were talking about in simple terms which is always more effective with humor in my experience (though my humor is sometimes tragically off the chart).

no harm done, JBG :D

Quote:

Or billeté Vert, on two bends Sable as many femora Argent

I know that the livery colors are usually said to be the first color and the first metal mentioned in the blazon – here, that would yield Vert doubled Or.  Given the arms, however, I would be more likely to say that the liveries were Sable (the color of the ordinary) doubled Or (the metal of the field).  Thoughts?