My latest

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

11 January 2007 19:31

Donnchadh wrote:

Chap, the only thing I have a problem with, and it is a slight one, is that the helmet appears to be in suspended animation.

Denny,

That is a very good observation—it totally bypassed me!  I was so enthralled at seeing the shield behind the maille; I didn’t even have the wit to notice the helmet was floating.

How should this conundrum be addressed?  I don’t think the majority of people would notice at first—but a few (like you) will immediately, others later.  Perhaps an alternative is to have a post behind the shield with the shield strap around the pole and the helmet perched on top?  The disadvantage to this solution is that the pole will be visible from the top of the shield to the underside of the helmet.  The advantage—other than having the helmet supported—is that you can then lean a samshir or other type weapon against the pole.

An alternative is to leave well enough alone and enjoy it for its artistic merit.

Any good ideas out there, guys?

—Guy

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

11 January 2007 19:36

Donnchadh wrote:

... I would only recommend a lighter shade on the canvas; perhaps something in an off-white color, as in a real canvas.

I would say that if you are going to lighten the background, use the same color, but just a bit more "water" to it.  It would look good on off-white as Denny says, but I think the twilight blue-black (thinned out) would be better.  I like the background color.

-Guy

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

11 January 2007 19:48

I disagree Denny, I think a white or off-white bacground would be too flat and be full of negative space.  This bakground compliments the design very well, at least to my eye anyway!  What’s that saying, beauty is in the eye of the beholder?!:D

Chapulin

Chapulin
Total Posts:  480
Joined  19-08-2005

12 January 2007 00:20

Guy Power wrote:

Denny,

That is a very good observation—it totally bypassed me! I was so enthralled at seeing the shield behind the maille; I didn’t even have the wit to notice the helmet was floating.

How should this conundrum be addressed? I don’t think the majority of people would notice at first—but a few (like you) will immediately, others later. Perhaps an alternative is to have a post behind the shield with the shield strap around the pole and the helmet perched on top? The disadvantage to this solution is that the pole will be visible from the top of the shield to the underside of the helmet. The advantage—other than having the helmet supported—is that you can then lean a samshir or other type weapon against the pole.

An alternative is to leave well enough alone and enjoy it for its artistic merit.

Any good ideas out there, guys?

—Guy

The maille became the problem; sitting directly upon the shield would obscure the charge. I decided this, because of original presentation and referenced a similar “floating helm” depicted (as below), though the shield is tilted.(but how do you tilt a round shield… lol) any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:D

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

12 January 2007 16:02

Chap, I don’t think you have a good alternative in this case. The style of helm has no choice but to float or to obscure the shield. Here, I think, nobody can really criticize a floating helm.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

12 January 2007 18:07

Patrick Williams wrote:

Chap, I don’t think you have a good alternative in this case. The style of helm has no choice but to float or to obscure the shield. Here, I think, nobody can really criticize a floating helm.

I agree.

—Guy

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

12 January 2007 19:02

One of the reasons why I am choosing a crest to display, rather than a helm, and also dropping these arms. They aren’t "universal" (if that term fits) enough for me.

I appreciate your work a lot tho!

Chapulin

Chapulin
Total Posts:  480
Joined  19-08-2005

12 January 2007 21:59

Andrew, awhile back you were taking ideas for a badge ( I forgot which thread, so I will place it here), well I thought I’d throw my 2 cents in…

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Joined  13-10-2006

12 January 2007 22:06

That is an awesome design!  They just keep getting better and better!:D

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

12 January 2007 22:52

Chap, at this point I wouldn’t listen to anything I have said. Go with your gut as that’ll usually serve you just fine. The arms are, as I said, very good.

One day when my life settles down a bit (maybe) I’d like to talk to you about a commission of my arms. I’ve had three artists render them and I think I would like to see what you could do with them. But, right now I just have to get my life back together and finish this year out in school. If it’s OK I’d like to see about it down the line.

P.S. even though your "real life" job is a noble one (law enforcement) I think you have a very promising career as a graphic artist as well. So, when the day comes like it did for my dad that law enforcement was just too much - especially from an ungrateful and hypocritical public and you retire you should SERIOUSLY consider taking up one as a graphic artist! Just my $0.02 ... although I told you to not listen to anything I say right now I’d make an exception for my judgment of your graphic artist capabilities.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

13 January 2007 09:28

MohamedHossam wrote:

One of the reasons why I am choosing a crest to display, rather than a helm, and also dropping these arms. They aren’t "universal" (if that term fits) enough for me.

I appreciate your work a lot tho!

Mohamed, I can’t think of arms that are universal. Displaying your arms with a round shield and a mameluke helm are wonderfully cultural and, frankly, a welcome break from the "standard" European designs. There’s no reason that you can’t have it both ways: round shield and mameluke helm, heater (or other type of Euro shield) and tilting or great helm as you wish for whatever application you wish.

Once again, look at Andemicael’s arms in the Members’ Arms Pages. He has an African-style achievement with no helm at all (and the crest displayed under the rest of the achievement) and a European-style one with a helm. Brilliant! Why not have it all, buddy?

By the way, there’s nothing intrinsically horrible about the floating helm. It looks fine, even if it’s a bit unusual. Here’s one of those cases where I don’t think anyone could really put up a decent argument against stretching the ‘rules’ a little.

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Joined  13-10-2006

13 January 2007 14:17

I agree with Patrick.  There’s no rule that says you can only have one artistic emblazon of your arms.  Actually to me that’s one of the benefits really, the blazon is what matters, the emblazon is up to the artists (so long as he/she follows the rules).  I would personally keep your original design for two reasons.  1.) they show your proud ethnic history in a beautiful way and 2) they’re unique.  I wouldn’t be worried about trying to "blend in" with the crowd as far as sheild design and helm.  That all but defeast the purpose of heraldry, it’s supposed to be a unique identifier!;)

AVD1

AVD1
Total Posts:  169
Joined  31-08-2006

13 January 2007 15:16

I agree with all your opinions. Just to clarify.

There are elements that belong to the blason (crest, supporters, partitions charges, mottoes, crie de guerre, etc)

There are some that traditionally do not belong to the blazon (shield shape, lambrequines, rank crowns -arguable-, decorations, helm, etc)

So, yes you can get your CoA in different renditions with different styles and that is in the artistic interpretation of the CoA.

A crest is not instead of a helm but an alternative. You can display your CoA with or with out helm with or without crest. But technically the crest should be part of the blazon. So some artistic interpretation of your CoA could contain Helm and Crest.

AVD1

AVD1
Total Posts:  169
Joined  31-08-2006

13 January 2007 15:19

Andrew.

Just a wonderful piece that Chapulin made with your crest. Somehow it remembers me something with the Roman Empire or the Teutonic Order or so that I’ve seen before. I’ll try to review some books just in case it’s too close to an existent crest.

As a piece of art just wonderful.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

13 January 2007 16:37

Wow! I go away for a couple of days and I’m amazed at the number of posts to read through just to catch up! :D

I understand that the Jagermeister logo uses a stag and Andrew’s badge uses an eagle, but…

I’m thirsty now…  LOL

Take care,