Design Help for a New Member

tsmith

tsmith
Total Posts:  129
Joined  08-07-2010

11 January 2012 23:29

Here is the peregrine falcon crest by Ljubodrag Grujic:

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1017&stc=1&d=1326341300
</div>

He did an excellent job on this crest.  I think the level of detail on the falcon is amazing.  He really captured the fierceness of the falcon.  Ljubodrag said it well when he emailed me the painting, "this peregrine falcon guardant of mine is a tough bird. No kidding around with it. The posture is ‘I guard the cross, beware’."

I couldn’t have said it better myself.  Again, this file isn’t even full sized.

To answer Joe’s question, there isn’t anything at all wrong with this crest.  I was inspired by the Quigley crest to try being a little bit more imaginative with the crest, that’s all.  I could certainly be convinced to retain the peregrine falcon crest…although I am a bit captivated by the idea of a snowy demi-beast flowing into snowy mantling!

If I keep the peregrine falcon crest I would definitely take Kathy’s suggestion and adopt a snowy stag for a badge and if I go with a snowy beast for the crest I will be looking for suggestions for a peregrine falcon badge.

Anyway, there you have it.  Go ahead, tell me I’m crazy to abandon the peregrine falcon crest when I have artwork like this.  Maybe that is what I need to hear!

Travis

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

11 January 2012 23:30

Joseph McMillan;91675 wrote:

Remind me what was wrong with the peregrine falcon crest?

I second Joe here….what’s wrong?

tsmith

tsmith
Joined  08-07-2010

11 January 2012 23:35

And here is the shield alone by Ljubodrag:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1019&stc=1&d=1326342727
</div>

I am very happy with how this turned out.  I especially like what he did with diapering in the chief.

Travis

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

12 January 2012 00:28

tsmith;91678 wrote:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1019&stc=1&d=1326342727
</div>

I am very happy with how this turned out.  I especially like what he did with diapering in the chief.

Travis

Wow wow wow!  This is simply stunning!  Ljubodrag’s artwork has really given your shield a whole new life.  If I were you, I wouldn’t change a thing.

And I ditto what Joe said.  Why change it?  When you see a crest as fantastic as Ljubodrag has drawn for you why would you want to change it?  I would keep it and use the snowy beast as your badge.  That way the snowflakes would tie the badge into the snowflakes on the shield.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

12 January 2012 03:50

This is superb Travis. Heraldry at its best?

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

12 January 2012 05:07

Ditto.  I really like the achievement as is.  I would recommend the discussions of colld beasties in the snow become a discussion of a possible badge.

As to Ljubodrag’s artwork - I recommend finding some really high quality paper and an excellent printer and putting the full sixe arms to frame! (like someone else did with hers)

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

12 January 2012 05:26

Travis, congratulations on being the owner of such fine artwork!  Ljubodrag is a master!

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

12 January 2012 08:46

That is an enviable emblazonment Travis. Also, the falcon crest is a keeper.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

12 January 2012 09:24

This is indeed another masterpiece by the Professor.  I would leave it as is, and continue to display with pride and pleasure.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

12 January 2012 16:17

Just my opinion of course, everyone has one, but I like the crest with the falcon.  I guess there is no reason you couldn’t have a blue falcon.  And might I suggest maybe not quite so many ermine spots on the mantling.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

12 January 2012 18:48

This emblazonment definitely has a certain sumptuousness.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

12 January 2012 21:38

Ljubodrag’s rendering of the falcon crest is simply stunning.

That said, however, I am a great fan of what I call "coherence"—a crest that evokes the shield. For that reason I would incline more toward a demi griffon Azure holding a portcullis Argent (as in the arms, without the surrounding gate as in one of the mock-ups).

Any of your options, Ljubodrag could realize magnificently.

tsmith

tsmith
Joined  08-07-2010

20 January 2012 15:19

I am still wrestling with whether to stick with the peregrine falcon crest or chnage to the demi-stag semy of snowflakes crest.  This is proving to be a tough choice.

I agree with everybody here that the falcon crest drawn by Ljubodrag is stunning.  I am kind of attached to the drawing and I like the symbolism associated with the falcon (at least in my mind).

On the other hand, as I have mentioned before I am really fond of the idea of the demi-stag semy of snowflakes flowing into snowy mantling and the possibilities it opens up for creative renderings.  I keep going back to what Andy did with Thomas de Beauchamp’s swan (check it out here by scrolling down a little more than halfway and looking on the right side of the screen).

The stag is also meaningful to me given 1.) my interest in deer hunting and the many hours I have spent deer hunting with Dad and 2.) the religious/medieval symbolism associated with the stag.

So, I am left with my quandry.  In the meantime a question for everybody here: what do people think of mantling azure semy of snowflakes argent doubled Or with the falcon crest rather than a snowy beast?  Does it still make sense?

Taking off on what Father Byers has mentioned about coherence, which harmonizes with the shield better: the falcon or the snowy stag?

Another question, are realistic (proper) animal crests more of a recent innovation or were they common in medieval heraldry?

Travis

David Fofanoff

David Fofanoff
Total Posts:  213
Joined  03-05-2011

23 January 2012 12:23

tsmith;91678 wrote:

I am very happy with how this turned out. I especially like what he did with diapering in the chief.

Travis

I absolutely love the detail and 3-dimensional depth of the work. Truly a fine piece of work given the complicated design. Bravo! (Now where did I put that lottery ticket so I can get one made…..hehehe)

tsmith

tsmith
Joined  08-07-2010

30 January 2012 17:35

Well, I have reached a final decision on the crest design.  I am going to stick with the falcon!  So the blazon for my crest is:

A Peregrine Falcon close guardant proper belled Or resting its dexter talon on a Greek cross fleury Azure.

Thanks everybody for your input and advice!  I greatly appreciate it.

Now, on to the task of coming up with a design for the snowy stag badge.  I am thinking simply:

A stag trippant Azure semy of snowflakes Argent attired and unguled Or.

or possibly:

A stag trippant reguardant Azure semy of snowflakes Argent attired and unguled Or.

Thoughts?