Designing my own Coat of Arms

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

06 April 2007 10:26

Charles, I think you may be stuck with horses!

Thank you, James, for bringing this thread full circle back upon itself!  (Of course, we had to go into the basement, out the cellar door, down the alley, through the backwoods, across the river, and over to Grandma’s house to get here…)

Ya gotta hate when that happens…

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

06 April 2007 20:32

Phil,

This is the idea I was trying to convey.  It’s the NSTAR logo.

http://imageshack.us/thumbnmail.png

Do you know how to blazon it without the star in the center?

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

06 April 2007 20:57

Phil,

This is what I meant.  I was using the wrong term.  I said gyronny when I should have been talking about piles.

My graphic design skills, as you well know, are wanting.  So sorry for the poor quality of the work, but I hope you get the idea.

Is it 9 piles reversed "in point" up to the mid point, alternating gold and blue?

Or is it per chevron blue and gold with 4 blue piles in point on the gold chevron?

[IMG]http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/2401/pilyop5.th.jpg

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

06 April 2007 21:53

Trent, that is extremely nice! I really like the colors as well. Or really accents Azure..

Do you have anything in mind for placing at the "vertex" of the piles?

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

06 April 2007 22:20

No, I like the basic division as it is.  Adding something at the point of convergence would really make it look like the NSTAR logo.  Some charges could be added in chief to the left and right.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

06 April 2007 23:36

MohamedHossam;43099 wrote:

OK, I see why you can have a hard time envisioning it. I said the wrong thing! I just looked it up and pile is in fact from Chief to Base, I guess what I meant would thus be an inverted pile?

Here is a pic of my idea:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c93/mohamedhossam/pile.jpg

Sorry, but I’ve got to say it!  It reminds me of the Vulcan I.D.I.C. Symbol!  :D

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

06 April 2007 23:58

OK, so I am now officially a sci-fi and comic book super hero heraldic artist. I can live with that! wink

Cheers,

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

07 April 2007 00:04

Sounds "heraldic" to me:  Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Total Posts:  50
Joined  10-02-2007

08 April 2007 05:07

PBlanton;43020 wrote:

I kinda see what you mean. I was trying to stick with the red-white-blue theme. The gules could always be changed to something like tenne to better represent the sun’s rays. Like this:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Mosteller2.jpg

Take care,

No, I don’t like this.

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Joined  10-02-2007

08 April 2007 05:18

Trent;43042 wrote:

Charles,

You mentioned the Titans, the sun, Atlas, and the summer solstice regarding your son.

Hyperion, a Titan, was the father of Helios, the Sun God.  The bull, rooster, and white horse (winged maybe) are associated with Helios.  St. John’s Eve (John the Baptist) is a summer solstice (Midsummer) celebration.  The Tropic of Cancer (the Crab) is connected to the summer solstice.  You might also pull something from a Midsummer Night’s Dream.

You mentioned the colors red, white, and blue regarding yourself.  What about your wife?  You said you wanted to reference her in some way, but I don’t recall seeing any specifics.

I put something together on the link below.  It resembles a few flags, but it has the themes you mentioned—the colors and the sun.  The counterchanged lion and lion heads are just place holders for more meaningful charges to you.

[IMG]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9598/charlesfg4.th.jpg

I haven’t really dwelt on counterchanged charges, but I have seen some in the past on various shields that I like. So, having something that is counterchanged is certainly an option. I don’t really like that rendering, though. I like the simplicity of it, but it just doesn’t strike me quite right.

Titan, the Sun God, while I think that is a great concept to include, is not the Titan that I had in mind. I am still partial to using Atlas as a charge or in the crest, since using him as a supporter causes consternation to some. I will continue to ponder using Hyperion, though.

Titan’s birthday is June 21st, 2005. Some sites I look at list it as being Gemini, and others I think list it as being something else.

Why Midsummer Night’s Dream? The John the Baptist/St. John’s Eve thing I am not moved by. Besides, the Mostellers to whom our family line was traced back to were Lutherans, even though I’m not. I don’t know, yet, what I want to represent from my family name/genealogy.

As far as my wife, I haven’t been specific, because I honestly don’t know what to use to represent her.

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Joined  10-02-2007

08 April 2007 05:20

MohamedHossam;43067 wrote:

Yeah, it does look a lot like the Phillippine flag. I think the one in the corner, with the lions’ heads could pass for the regimental insignia of a Phillippine military unit.

How about a pile with a bezant behind it in such a way as to give the effect of the sun rising above a hill?

Another idea would be to use gyronny, with a Bezant in the center. Wait, it’s called gyronny in heraldry too, right? I am most familiar with that term in regards to vexillology…

Regards,

Some of the terms I do not have immediate familiarity with, so just reading some suggestions I won’t know what they look like, without researching what is suggested. Offhand, I don’t know what a bezant nor a gyronny are.

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Joined  10-02-2007

08 April 2007 05:27

Trent;43085 wrote:

If Charles has a particular division that he is partial to, that would help.  I was just trying out something basic.  I prefer the one with the lion heads.

Thus far, I don’t know. Originally, I was considering a paly of five, if I have my terminology right. Then, I leaned towards a solid colored shield. Then, I tried coming up with something in chief (again, if I have my terms right).

Really, though, I just want it to strike me, to grab my eye, and I have seen a lot of great looking heraldic pieces with a lot of different shapes and designs.

Simplicity in design appeals to me, I guess, because a number of designs in general that I have looked at over time just end up looking too cluttered to me. That’s not to say that I have never seen some very nice looking cluttered designs, but particularly where a given design is displayed at a small size, such as on stationary or other uses where the heraldic item ends up looking small, the simple designs tend to stand out more, I think.

I’m still very much in the early stage of things.

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Joined  10-02-2007

08 April 2007 05:29

MohamedHossam;43099 wrote:

OK, I see why you can have a hard time envisioning it. I said the wrong thing! I just looked it up and pile is in fact from Chief to Base, I guess what I meant would thus be an inverted pile?

Here is a pic of my idea:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c93/mohamedhossam/pile.jpg

I very much dislike this. It reminds me of a keyhole, a bit. What you have in your avatar, now, that is a very nice and catchy design. It’s an example of something that I consider to be catchy and eye-grabbing, plus it’s aesthetically appealing.

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Joined  10-02-2007

08 April 2007 05:34

Trent;43109 wrote:

Does putting the sun in the base make much of a difference?  Looking at it from left to right and top to bottom you get the red, white, and blue color scheme. This was my first version actually.

[IMG]http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/541/charles2yd6.th.jpg

I like that version much better than the other version. It gets a thumbs up, for simplicity’s sake, but I don’t find it to be aesthetically appealing. I also don’t like the charges used. As an example, I like the one-eyed sun in the Armorial Gold software selections that I purchased a while back better than the sun used in your example here, Trent. But, I haven’t looked at dozens of different sun charges, though.

I also played with that basic division of the shield, before, but didn’t really like it. However, I like it better with what you have here, than when I played with it, before. I’m not sold on it, but just saying, my tastebuds seem to change as I go through this process.

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Joined  10-02-2007

08 April 2007 05:37

Trent;43135 wrote:

I didn’t put up a per chevron version because that only gives you two fields instead of three to work with.  And he wanted red, white, and blue.

The colors I am growing more flexible on. What I have played around with, previously, I grew more fond of a one-eyed gold sun on an azure shield. The red/white/blue color scheme that I originally leaned towards I am flexible on, at this stage. I could incorporate something else, to symbolize being an American, or even fore go symbolizing that aspect, at all. It could be more personal, meaning pertaining to my wife and son, than to my nationality.